This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9446 / 55°56'40"N
Longitude: -3.1995 / 3°11'58"W
OS Eastings: 325181
OS Northings: 673043
OS Grid: NT251730
Mapcode National: GBR 8MJ.DJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.TVM5
Plus Code: 9C7RWRV2+R6
Entry Name: Macauley House, 2 Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 2 Lauriston Gardens, Macauley House, Including Boundary and Retaining Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 28 August 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371011
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30206
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Late 18th century with later 19th century alterations. 2-storey and basement 3-bay house with classical details. Cream-painted harl with painted ashlar dressings; rusticated quoins above basement to S elevation; droved basement quoins; eaves course.
S ELEVATION: architraved margins to openings; consoled pediment to door at centre; panelled door with plate glass fanlight. Steps oversailing basement recess. Basement window below stair and in flanking bays (later bipartite to left). Bipartites inserted at ground floor, flanking door. Window to each bay at 1st floor.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: each 3-bay elevation advanced slightly in the 19th century, proud of quoins. Narrow windows to centre at each floor of W elevation.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Door to right of centre in basement, with 3 windows; windows to each bay at ground and 1st floor.
4-pane and 12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof and piended dormers linked between paired end stacks. Tall ashlar end stacks.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: decorative cast-iron balustrade to basement steps and wrought-iron railings to recess. Ashlar-coped rubble and squared and snecked sandstone boundary and retaining walls; 2 corniced and ball-finialled piers to W; corniced and platformed droved ashlar pier, stop-chamfered to corner, inscribed 'Lauriston Gardens.' Simple rusticated ashlar gatepiers to N; boarded timber door in ashlar surround under swept archway with moulded coping to W.
B group comprises 2 Lauriston Gardens, Macauley House and 4 Lauriston Gardens, St Catherine's Convent. Macauley House is a survival of the 18th century villas which originally lined the western end of Lauriston Place with gardens stretching to the Meadows. Kirkwood (1817) shows the long garden laid out with lines of trees. Johnstone (1851) names it as Lauriston Lodge. The garden was given to the Sisters of Mercy in 1860 for the erection of the convent. Macauley House itself was yielded to the convent to serve as an orphanage. The present name of the house derives from the foundress of the Sisters' Order, Catherine Macauley.
Other nearby listed buildings