History in Structure

Freemason's Hall, 96, 98 George Street, Edinburgh

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9523 / 55°57'8"N

Longitude: -3.2025 / 3°12'8"W

OS Eastings: 325010

OS Northings: 673903

OS Grid: NT250739

Mapcode National: GBR 8LF.TR

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.SN68

Plus Code: 9C7RXQ2X+W2

Entry Name: Freemason's Hall, 96, 98 George Street, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 96 George Street, Freemasons' Hall

Listing Date: 12 December 1974

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 370766

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30024

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Edinburgh Freemasons Hall
Edinburgh, 96, 98 George Street, Freemason's Hall

ID on this website: 200370766

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Hall

Find accommodation in


A Hunter Crawford, 1910-12. Imposing 3-storey and attic, 6-bay classical freemason?s hall. Silvery-grey polished sandstone ashlar.

2 centre bays slightly advanced. Rusticated at ground with small voussoired windows, and base course; at centre Roman Doric doorpiece with coupled columns, triglyph frieze and entablature; latticed bronze doors lead to internal porch with 3-bay arcaded glazed doors. Giant order of channelled Doric pilasters to upper floors; windows architraved. At 1st floor, windows corniced, with balustrading between piers; figure of St Andrew by Harry Snell Gamley at centre. Panelled vents between 1st and 2nd floors. Entablature with modillioned cornice; balustraded parapet and urns. Mansard roof with 6 pedimented timber dormers behind parapet.

Hall to lane with shaped ashlar gable. Glazed bricks to rear elevations of upper floors.

Timber sash and case windows; 15-pane at 1st floor, 12-pane at ground and 2nd. Ashlar coped skews; corniced ashlar stacks; grey slates.

INTERIOR: sumptuous and well preserved. Vestibule lined in grey Echaillon marble, with black marble columns; staircase with superimposed orders. Hall; 5-bay temple with low aisles; original pendent wreath light fittings; woodwork by Scott Morton, including oak case for Brindley & Foster?s organ, 1913.

Statement of Interest

Crawford?s most important work; soon after he became the house architect of the family firm of bakers. It replaced an earlier hall by David Bryce, and includes sculpture by John Thomas.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.