History in Structure

City Art Centre, 1-6 Market Street, Edinburgh

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.951 / 55°57'3"N

Longitude: -3.1892 / 3°11'21"W

OS Eastings: 325837

OS Northings: 673743

OS Grid: NT258737

Mapcode National: GBR 8PG.H7

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.ZPH8

Plus Code: 9C7RXR26+98

Entry Name: City Art Centre, 1-6 Market Street, Edinburgh

Listing Name: 1-6 (Inclusive Nos) Market Street, City Art Centre

Listing Date: 12 December 1974

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 370919

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30139

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200370919

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Architectural structure Art gallery

Find accommodation in


James Dunn and James Findlay, 1899-1902, with later alterations (see Notes). 6-storey and attic 5-bay Baroque art gallery with 2-storey arcade to ground on octagonal piers; 2-storey link (now cafe and shop) to Scotsman building to left, with round-arched entrance to Fleshmarket Close. Dentilled cornice above 2nd floor; cill course to 6th floor; modillioned eaves cornice. 5 bipartite dormer windows with alternate triangular and segmental pediments to attic, linked by balustraded balcony. Blocked Roman Doric mullions to tripartite windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor in segmental-arched recesses, and blocked Roman Doric colonnettes to tripartite windows at 6th floor.

Small-pane glazing. Cast-iron down pipes with decorative hoppers. Corniced, bow-ended end stack with circular cans.

Statement of Interest

Following the widening of North Bridge, and the demolition of Halkerston's Wynd, Kinloch's Close, Carruber's Close, Milne's Square and the Poultry Market, the huge site to the W of the Bridge was purchased from the City in 1898 by John Ritchie & Co, proprietors of the SCOTSMAN newspaper. Dunn and Findlay were commissioned to design a complex of buildings for the site, including offices and printing works for the newspaper, and commercial premises. (James Leslie Findlay was the son of John Ritchie Findlay, proprietor of the SCOTSMAN.) The Market Street premises had a lower level link to Waverley Station and a special 'Scotsman' railway siding. The interior was converted to exhibition space by the City Architect's Department 1979-80; the first floor was cut back, giving double-height entrance hall.

Category changed from B to A, 19 December 2002.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.