Latitude: 55.9489 / 55°56'56"N
Longitude: -3.2103 / 3°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 324517
OS Northings: 673540
OS Grid: NT245735
Mapcode National: GBR 8KG.7Y
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.NQHT
Plus Code: 9C7RWQXQ+HV
Entry Name: 89, 91, 93, 95, 97, 99 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 89-95 (Odd Nos) Shandwick Place
Listing Date: 30 January 1981
Category: C
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 370980
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30178
Building Class: Cultural
ID on this website: 200370980
Location: Edinburgh
County: Edinburgh
Town: Edinburgh
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Tagged with: Architectural structure
W F Rollo-Wilkie, 1896. 4-storey, 6-bay symmetrical terrace with classical detailing, modern shops at ground floor. Polished black granite at ground floor; polished cream sandstone ashlar above with polished dressings. Corniced band course to upper floors, dentil-moulded at 2nd floor; cill course at 2nd and 3rd floors. Pilastered aedicules with segmental pediments to central windows at 1st floor; similar aedicules with triangular pediments, panelled dies and plain aprons to windows in bays flanking; architraves to 2nd and 3rd floors, corniced at 2nd; pavilions at 1st floor flanked by channelled strip pilasters, at 2nd floor by Roman Doric pilasters.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: modern shop fronts at ground floor; recessed doorway to centre and to left; panelled timber pend door with large fanlight to right. Upper floors grouped 2-2-2: 2 central recessed bays with balustrade at 1st floor; flanking 2-bay groups form French roofed twin pavilions. Regular fenestration to all floors.
SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjoining buildings.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
Modern shop windows at ground floor; 2-pane timber sash and case windows above. Grey slate roof. Coped panelled sandstone ashlar wallhead stack between paired roofs, shouldered by small segmental-headed blocks; coped mutual stacks; full compliment of moulded cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fitted as modern shops at ground floor; remainder unseen 2000.
Centred on the axis of Stafford Street, the arrangement effectively closes the SE view down this street, answering the columned front of No 25 Melville Street which closes the NW view. The line of development westwards, which began with Shandwick Place (originally called Maitland Street, renamed in the late 1890s), was agreed to by the city in 1813 but had been planned as early as 1801. Its form continues the urban rectilinearity of Craig's New Town (Youngson, p215). This side of Shandwick Place appears on Robert Kirkwood's New Plan of 1817, although many of the buildings have since been remodelled or rebuilt. According to Grant Shandwick Place was "once a double line of front-door houses for people of good style, [now they] are almost entirely lines of shops or other new buildings".
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings