This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.949 / 55°56'56"N
Longitude: -3.2101 / 3°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 324527
OS Northings: 673545
OS Grid: NT245735
Mapcode National: GBR 8KG.8Y
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.NQLS
Plus Code: 9C7RWQXQ+HX
Entry Name: 85-87 Shandwick Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 85-87 (Odd Nos) Shandwick Place
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395072
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47731
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
R Thornton Shiells & Thomson, 1889. 4-storey, 2-bay symmetrical shop building. Polished black granite at ground floor; polished red sandstone ashlar above. Modern shop fascia at ground floor; lintel course at each floor; cill course to 2nd and 3rd floors. Chamfered reveals to mullioned and transomed windows; half-fluted pilasters flanking windows at 1st floor; recessed panels with central geometric shapes flanking windows at 2nd and 3rd floors.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: modern shop front at ground floor with panelled timber pend door offset to right. Regularly disposed 4-light canted windows in each bay at each floor above, with individual polygonal roofs.
SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjoining buildings.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
2-pane timber sash and case windows; modern shop windows at ground floor. Grey slate to polygonal roofs; vestigial finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fitted as modern shop at ground floor; unseen elsewhere.
Unusually constructed from red sandstone, it retains its original fenestration and distinctive roof form. Gifford, Walker and McWilliam note how the style is reminiscent of Washington Browne's Francois Ier manner. The line of development westwards was agreed to by the city in 1813 but had been planned as early as 1801, with the S side of Shandwick Place originally called Maitland Street (renamed in the late 1890s). Its form continues the urban rectilinearity of Craig's New Town (Youngson, p215). This side of Shandwick Place appears on Robert Kirkwood's New Plan of 1817, although many of the buildings have since been remodelled or rebuilt. According to Grant Shandwick Place was "once a double line of front-door houses for people of good style, [now they] are almost entirely lines of shops or other new buildings".
Other nearby listed buildings