This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9467 / 55°56'48"N
Longitude: -3.1977 / 3°11'51"W
OS Eastings: 325297
OS Northings: 673281
OS Grid: NT252732
Mapcode National: GBR 8MH.SR
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VSGJ
Plus Code: 9C7RWRW2+MW
Entry Name: Salvation Army Women's Hostel, Grassmarket, Edinburgh
Listing Name: West Port, Former Salvation Army Women's Hostel
Listing Date: 7 December 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371001
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30196
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Hamilton (of Glasgow), 1910. 4-storey 5-bay former women's hostel (now annexe of Edinburgh College of Art) with Art Nouveau details and finialled ogee-roofed corner tower. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone, cream/grey to ground, red above ground floor, with polished dressings; brick to W elevation, white-glazed brick to rear. Cornice over ground floor with timber lettered fascia below; timber bracketed eaves.
N (WEST PORT) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door in small-pane glazed screen to centre in moulded surround with consoled segmental pediment over, containing good Art Nouveau lettering (see Notes); 3-storey pilaster strips flanking windows above; stylised flat pediment to 3rd floor window breaking eaves. Pedimented dormerhead breaking eaves to outer right. Polygonal corner tower to outer left, corniced at 2nd floor, corbelled out above chamfered corner to outer left.
E (VENNEL) ELEVATION: recessed bay to outer left (adjoining Portsburgh Chapel, see Notes); timber panelled door to left with small-pane glazed fanlight; stylised flat pediment breaking eaves above. 4 bays to right regularly fenestrated.
Smal- pane glazing above, 2-light casements below in timber sash and case windows. Greenish-grey slates. Cast-iron down pipes with decorative hoppers. Tall corniced stacks with circular cans to wallhead to E and small stack to W gablehead.
B group comprises the former Portsburgh Chapel, The Vennel, (1828, separately listed), which had already been converted to hostel use in 1893, and the former Salvation Army Women's Hostel, built in 1910 as an extension to the Chapel building. Both now form part of an annexe to Edinburgh College of Art, Lady Lawson Street (separately listed). Lettering over door reads 'The Salvation Army Women's Hostel.' Carved stones laid by Mrs Bramwell Booth, William Brown (Lord Provost), Rev Williamson (St Giles) and Rev Whyte (Pricipal New College). The West Port was originally the SW city gate, and the street now known as West Port lay in the burgh of Portsburgh.
Other nearby listed buildings