This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9465 / 55°56'47"N
Longitude: -3.1976 / 3°11'51"W
OS Eastings: 325304
OS Northings: 673256
OS Grid: NT253732
Mapcode National: GBR 8MH.ST
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VSJP
Plus Code: 9C7RWRW2+JX
Entry Name: Edinburgh Art College Annexe, The Vennel, Grassmarket, Edinburgh
Listing Name: The Vennel, Former Portsburgh Chapel, Including Boundary Wall, Railings, Gate and Gateway
Listing Date: 5 August 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371075
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30266
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Archibald Scott, 1828. 2-storey (basement to N and W) piend-roofed 5-bay plain classical former church, with arcaded porch to E. Coursed sandstone to E, random rubble to sides and rear, droved ashlar dressings. Blocking course. Long and short quoins. S elevation adjoins former Salvation Army Women's Refuge (see Notes).
E (VENNEL) ELEVATION: 5-bays. Flat-roofed single storey porch (now blocked) with tripartite ashlar Doric arcade flanked by single windowed bays; raised blocking course.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 bays. Tall round-headed windows in 2 inner bays.
Predominantly 12 pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. 2 corniced chimney stalks with small circular cans behind E blocking course.
INTERIOR: (not seen 2000) converted (1999) to form studios for Edinburgh College of Art.
BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS, GATE AND GATEWAY: cast-iron railings on ashlar-coped random rubble boundary wall. Stone steps to S (from Vennel) flanked by ashlar-coped coursed sandstone walls to round-arched ashlar gateway with cast-iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. B group comprises the former Portsburgh Chapel, The Vennel, and the former Salvation Army Women's Hostel, West Port. The Portsburgh Chapel was built as a Succession Church for an Associate (Burgher) congregation which had succeeded from the Nicholson Street Antiburgher congregation in 1789. A new Succession Church was built on this site in 1792, rebuilt in 1828. The Succession congregation moved out in 1859, to be replaced by a United Presbyterian congregation, who used the building as a mission church. The building became the Salvation Army Rescue Home in 1881. The Salvation Army Women's Hostel was built in 1910 as an extension to the former. Both now form part of an annexe to Edinburgh College of Art, Lady Lawson Street (separately listed). Listed as a simple Georgian preaching box of a type once common, now the only surviving example in Edinburgh city centre., and for its contribution to the character of the Old Town Conservation Area.
Other nearby listed buildings