History in Structure

Carrington House, Fettes College, Carrington Road, Edinburgh

A Category B Listed Building in Inverleith, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.962 / 55°57'43"N

Longitude: -3.227 / 3°13'37"W

OS Eastings: 323498

OS Northings: 675011

OS Grid: NT234750

Mapcode National: GBR 8FB.V8

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.DDKT

Plus Code: 9C7RXQ6F+Q6

Entry Name: Carrington House, Fettes College, Carrington Road, Edinburgh

Listing Name: Carrington Road, Fettes College, Carrington House

Listing Date: 17 January 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 371030

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30222

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200371030

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Inverleith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


David Bryce, 1871-1872; enlarged, 1892, new window by Sir
Robert Rowand Anderson, 1895, interior renovation, A F
Balfour Paul, 1936, and restored after fire, Anderson
Kininmonth and Paul, 1963. 2-storey and attic rambling
plan restrained Baronial, residential block, including
lower 2-storey wing. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings. Base and string courses. Stone
mullions and transoms at intervals; variety of architraved
and mannered surrounds to windows. House master's house to E,
with entrance in advanced gabled bay with chamfered corners
and jettied gablehead; hoodmoulded pointed arch door.
Entrance to student house in recessed gabled bay by re-
entrant angle to right; rectangular fanlight above stone
lintel. Low 2-storey wing to outer right comprised of 3
gabled bays single window to each floor at centre and 2
windows to each floor in outer bays; gablehead stacks;
detailed similarly at rear. Single storey projection to main
block at rear. Metal fire escape. Canted bay to S elevation
with gablehead with curved mitre above; single storey
canted bay projecting at ground; decorative timber barge
boarding retained to gablehead and 2 attic
dormers breaking eaves.
Sash and case windows: plate glass and small-plane glazing
patterns. Heavily corniced ashlar stacks, broad stacks
panelled. Grey-green slates. Gablet coping to skews. Some
gablet crowsteps to house master's house.
INTERIOR: study rooms around galleried hall with gabled
lantern in lower 2-storey wing; boarded dado at ground
and sliding doors; barley sugar timber balustrade and
turned colonettes. Senior dormitory with wainscot-high
boarded timber cubicle divisions; cast-iron columns.

Statement of Interest

Named after an estate of a Trustee/Governor the Hon B F

Primrose, and originally called Dalmeny; renamed allegedly

because Lord Rosebery's mail was arriving at Fettes. Fettes

College, the East and West Lodges, Glencorse, Kimmergham and

Moredun houses and the college gates and railings, are

listed separately.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.