History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument To James Thomson, High Street, Forres

A Category C Listed Building in Forres, Moray

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6082 / 57°36'29"N

Longitude: -3.6182 / 3°37'5"W

OS Eastings: 303405

OS Northings: 858731

OS Grid: NJ034587

Mapcode National: GBR K8FM.39N

Mapcode Global: WH5HB.D189

Plus Code: 9C9RJ95J+7P

Entry Name: Monument To James Thomson, High Street, Forres

Listing Name: High Street, Monument to Dr James Thomson, Castle Hill

Listing Date: 30 August 1983

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373033

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31722

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Forres

County: Moray

Town: Forres

Electoral Ward: Forres

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Forres

Description

Alexander Urquhart, Elgin, contractor, 1857. Obelisk, about
65' high, of polished Peterhead granite on stepped base.

Statement of Interest

Stands on site of Forres Castle. Dr James Thomson of Cromarty

cared for Russian wounded after the Battle of Alma, 1854, but

exhausted by this labour, died himself. The Burgh of Cromarty

refused a site for the monument. The site at Forres was given

by Sir Charles R MacGrigor, a friend of Thomson. The

monument was built by public subscription.

Former Item 108 (1983 Revised List)

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.