History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's Episcopal Church, Victoria Road, Forres

A Category A Listed Building in Forres, Moray

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6126 / 57°36'45"N

Longitude: -3.607 / 3°36'25"W

OS Eastings: 304087

OS Northings: 859209

OS Grid: NJ040592

Mapcode National: GBR K8GL.VTW

Mapcode Global: WH5H4.KXLG

Plus Code: 9C9RJ97V+35

Entry Name: St John's Episcopal Church, Victoria Road, Forres

Listing Name: Victoria Road, St John's Episcopal Church

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373092

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31769

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Forres

County: Moray

Town: Forres

Electoral Ward: Forres

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Forres

Description

1830-40, Patrick Wilson, Edinburgh, architect. Simple church substantially altered and encased in Italianate style, and

re-fitted internally, by Thomas Mackenzie, Elgin, 1844.

Cruciform plan, orientated N/S. Ashlar frontage, dressings

and belfry; coursed rubble and harled flanks.

Ashlar gable to street with wheel window with flanking blind

panels; outer giant pilasters flanking full width pediment

supported by pilasters. 3-bay arcaded portico across the full

width of gable; 4 stage campanile to right (E) with open

balustraded arcades to 3rd and 4th stages. Shallow piended

roof with corbelled eaves course and weathervane of St John's

cross surmounted by golden cock. Campanile linked to E

transept by 5-bay open arcade similar to portico. Square

windows set high in wall to aisle with simple circle

sectioned tracery; semi-circular apse with triple light

stained glass window. Round-headed paired lights to E and W

gables. Deep eaves; slate roof.

INTERIOR: simple interior with plain walls and flat

coffered ceiling; mosaic floor. Oak seating and pulpit; brass

altar rail and eagle lectern. Circular roof light at

crossing. Latticed cast-iron balustrade to narrow gallery at

S end of church.

Mural paintings in apse, including one depicting the Last

Supper, by William Hole (1907). Further painting by same

artist at font of Christ blessing little children (1911).

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

First Rector of Forres visited Florence during 1830's and

is said to have sketched church there on which to base design

of St John's. Stained glass by Barnett of Newcastle in

apse. 3 windows in memory of Edward Dunbar of Seapark,

Kinloss (d. 1858 aged 3). Sir Alexander Gordon-Cumming (d.

1868) and John Grant of Moy (d. 1867).

Former Item 154 (1983 Revised List)

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.