History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rosemarkie Parish Church, Church Place, Rosemarkie

A Category B Listed Building in Fortrose, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.591 / 57°35'27"N

Longitude: -4.114 / 4°6'50"W

OS Eastings: 273726

OS Northings: 857631

OS Grid: NH737576

Mapcode National: GBR J86N.J7K

Mapcode Global: WH4FY.SG3J

Plus Code: 9C9QHVRP+99

Entry Name: Rosemarkie Parish Church, Church Place, Rosemarkie

Listing Name: Rosemarkie High Street Rosemarkie Parish Church

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373198

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31853

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Fortrose

County: Highland

Town: Fortrose

Electoral Ward: Black Isle

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Rosemarkie

Description

John Falconer and John Wilson, masons, James McLean, carpenter,

1818-22. Thinly detailed Gothic rectangular church with tower

at west gable. Tower, south and west elevations of rough ashlar;

north and east elevations of sneck-harled rubble; polished

ashlar dressings; slated roof. Body of church 4 bays with 4

tall windows at south and 2 similar windows at north, the

windows having timber mullions and tracery; all windows have

hoodmoulds. At centre of south front, crenellated vestry (now

porch). Moulded eaves cornice; square-plan skewputts with

ornate stiff leaf finials. Tower of 3 stages delineated by

string courses; Gothic openings with hoodmoulds, those at

second stage with label stops carved with heads (of bonnetted

women at south and capped men at west); corbelled, crenellated

parapet with crocketted pinnacles at angles. Interior recast

and re-orientated towards east, John Robertson, 1894. Gothick horse-shore gallery borne on clustered columns; original

pulpit with sounding board in form of crown; furnishings of

pine. Two memorial tablets by James Dalziel, Edinburgh, to

members of the Fowler family of Raddery and Grange, early 19th

century.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.