This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8867 / 55°53'12"N
Longitude: -4.2838 / 4°17'1"W
OS Eastings: 257256
OS Northings: 668309
OS Grid: NS572683
Mapcode National: GBR 0D9.PJ
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.59CJ
Plus Code: 9C7QVPP8+MF
Entry Name: Hall And Janitor's House, Ruchill Parish Church, 17 Shakespeare Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 17 Shakespeare Street, Ruchill Parish Church Halls and Janitor's House
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374315
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32356
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Maryhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
West elevation: wide south bay with ground and first floor windows in recessed panel under shallow arch supported on impost blocks, gablet above with symbolic niche. Windows with segmental heads linked in Art Nouveau design. Doorpiece at centre with wide curved margins and lintel supported on plain brackets, shallow segmental window over. Four-light window with shallow swan-neck detail to north. Two first floor windows with projecting curved cills. Curved stair bay at north with three tall narrow lipped windows. Slate roofs behind parapet.
Buttressed elevation to courtyard with asymmetrical east domestic range, two-storeys with stair turret.
Interior: ground floor full-height hall; wide, heavy, bolted, collar and tie beam roof with curved bracing. Canted east end with Art Nouveau curved headed, multi-paned window. Walls two-thirds panelled with deep cornice. Hall extension to south with tall folding doors similarly detailed. All doors with typical Mackintosh detailed glazed panels. Curved stair with stylised cut-out detail in landing balustrade. Quiet Room and Upper Hall on first floor divided by tall doors with ogee design. Both with boarded two-thirds panelling. Upper hall top lit with rafter roof.
Was initially listed as Ruchill Street then listed as 17 Shakespeare Street following re-alignment of road. Re-numbered again as 26 Ruchill Street (2005). Now (2009) known again as 17 Shakespeare Street. Ruchill Parish Church listed seperately (LB32355).
There are surviving drawings by Mackintosh indicating that he designed the halls. There are also stylistic similarities with the almost contemporary Glasgow School of Art (LB33105) and Queen's Cross Church (LB33764), supporing the view that Mackintosh was responsible for this design at Ruchill (Mackintosh Architecture).
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.
Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.
Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.
Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.
Listed building record revised in 2019.
Other nearby listed buildings