This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8789 / 55°52'43"N
Longitude: -4.2884 / 4°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 256938
OS Northings: 667447
OS Grid: NS569674
Mapcode National: GBR 0CD.RB
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.3H5J
Plus Code: 9C7QVPH6+HJ
Entry Name: Kibble Palace, Botanic Gardens, 703 Great Western Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 730 Great Western Road; Botanic Gardens, Kibble Palace
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374930
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32513
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Kibble, engineer. Originally erected 1863-6 at Coulport, Loch Long; removed here and enlarged 1873. Low ashlar base course; cast and wrought-iron, glass parabolic and domed winter garden, keyhole shaped on plan. To S elevation, centrally placed entrance porch with 2 pedimented timber doors. Long gallery to S. at right angles to main conservatory; centrally placed drum with hemispherical dome and cupola supported internally on ring girder and barley sugar cast-iron columns with foliate capitals and elaborate brackets. Arched passage leads to main conservatory; 150' in diameter spanned by saucer-shaped dome with cupola. Dome supported by 2 rings of columns detailed as above. Within 9 marble statue groups: King Robert of Sicily by G H Paulin, Cain by Roscoe Mullins. Eve by Scipione Tadolini, Ruth by Giovanni Ciniselli, Nubian Slave by A Rossetti. The Elf by Sir Goscombe John. Stepping Stones by W Thorneycroft, The Sisters by Bethany of Warrington Wood, Oriental Slave by Scipione Tadolini.
Part of Botanic Gardens B group. Oriental Slave by Scipione Tadolini broken by vandals a few years ago (September 1994). Seriously damaged and too expensive "in terms of labour" to repair. Surviving fragments believed to be in Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery (information from Parks and Museums Department of Glasgow District Council and the Dictionary of Scottish Artists).
Other nearby listed buildings