History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

69 Hyndland Road, St Brides Episcopal Church

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8799 / 55°52'47"N

Longitude: -4.3048 / 4°18'17"W

OS Eastings: 255919

OS Northings: 667597

OS Grid: NS559675

Mapcode National: GBR 08C.GY

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.VG9Q

Entry Name: 69 Hyndland Road, St Brides Episcopal Church

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375040

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32531

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

G F Bodley, London, architect; 1903-4 (chancel and E part of
nave); H O Tarboltan, Edinburgh, 1915-16 (tower and W part of
church). Unfinished Gothic church, bull faced red ashlar with
polished margins, quoins and dressings.
W elevation; buttressed gable with large pointed arch
hood-moulded window with late 14th century reticulated
tracery. Wide flight of steps to pointed arch hoodmoulded
door. 3-stage tower to N, buttressed at angles. Lowest stage
with statue in niche to W. 2nd stage with 4 small traceried
blind openings, tall traceried pointed arch belfry openings
above. Corbel course with embattled parapet and 3rd stage.
S flank rendered brick, buttressed. N flank with incomplete
porch to W; single storey with sculpted parapet.
Interior: 5-bay nave separated from 2 N aisles by arcade with
clustered columns; 3-bay tower aisle with Lady Chapel to E
and small ogival recess to NW. Ribbed and panelled roof to
nave, flat panelled ceiling to main aisles, rood beam and
rood at chancel. Carved oak choir stalls and pulpit on marble
base. Elaborate chancel arch with gilded and painted
crucifixion. Organ in loft at NW. Carved oak font, 1893.
Virgin and child statue in niche in Lady Chapel by Eric Gill,
1915. Stained glass by arl Parsons, circa 1920. Pointed arch
ceiling to nave, coffered ceiling to aisles.
S flank rendered brick, buttressed.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.