This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8624 / 55°51'44"N
Longitude: -4.2356 / 4°14'8"W
OS Eastings: 260182
OS Northings: 665506
OS Grid: NS601655
Mapcode National: GBR 0QL.G7
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.XX75
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ67+XQ
Entry Name: Gates And Gate Piers, Bridge Of Sighs, Cathedral Square, Glasgow
Listing Name: Cathedral Square, Bridge of Sighs, Gates, Gatepiers, and Lodge to Bridge of Sighs with 50 Cathedral Square (Superintendent's House)
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375503
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32651
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dennistoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
David and James Hamilton architects, 1833-40. Bridge, originally spanning Molindar Burn, now spans Wishart Street. Gates, gatepiers, gatehouse (all by Hamilton) and lodge (dated 1890) sited to W of Bridge near Cathedral Square. These form Hamilton's grand processional way from Cathedral Square across the Bridge of Sighs to John Bryces monumental Screen Wall at Necropolis linking with (see separate item, Ward 24).
Bridge of Sighs: James Hamilton of David and James Hamilton, 1833. Single span semi-circular arch masonry bridge crossing Wishart Road. Main span 60ft approx. Smaller asymmetrical arches allow pedestrian traffic to pass. Droved ashlar soffits and spandrels, polished voussoirs, ogee moulded arch ring. Polished coped parapet, rebuilt and stepped up at centre of arch, setted roadway. Substantial abutments and flanks.
Gates and Gatepiers: Gatepiers David Hamilton, 1838, ironwork of gates by T Edington. To Cathedral Square pair of substantial square plan polished ashlar gatepiers. Chamfered arrises, brackets support corniced cope. On cope, pair of cast-iron lampbrackets.
Gates: elaborate iron gates in cast panels riveted to wrought-iron frame. Centrepiece has coat of arms and inscription: WILLIAM BROWN OF KILMADINNY, DEAN OF GUILD, MDCCCXXXVIII.
Lodge: David Hamilton, architect, 1839-40. Small square plan gatehouse with taller tower projecting from SE angle. Droved ashlar, polished basecourse. Door to N is round-arched and recessed within rectangular panel of masonry with bracketted lintel. Roll moulded archivolt, fanlight, double-leaf doors. Windows to main block similarly detailed, round-arched, now all blocked. To tower square-headed recessed hoodmoulded windows some with surviving sash and case windows with 4-lying-pane glazing.
Foliate frieze at eaves, eaves cornice, deep plain corniced parapet.
Superintendents House: 2-storey and attic lodge Tudor gothic style. Main elevation to N single storey due to steeply sloping site with simple symmetrical entrance frontage. Stugged ashlar, polished painted openings with gothic details. Steps to central hoodmoulded doorpiece, architraved door with shouldered fanlight.
Windows to N elevation single light with architraves and shouldered lintels, sash and case with 4-pane glazing. Moulded eaves cornice. 2 piended dormers, end skews, end stacks with tall diamond cans, set singly or in groups, slate roofs.
Other elevations asymmetrical with variety of window types, all sash and case, some 4-pane, some single light. W elevation has oriel added 1890 and dated. E elevation double gabled, to right, bipartite projecting canted window with lead roof. To left, hoodmoulded bipartite window to ground, single light above.
Rear (S) elevation: with 2-window projection breaking through eaves at 1st floor in large box dormer. Single storey projecting range to left with tall diamond cans, slate roofs.
Part of Cathedral Square A group. Plaque at E end of Bridge inscribed 'The adjoining bridge was erected by Merchant House of Glasgow to afford a proper entrance ... to the grounds in 1833'. Foundation stone laid 18.10.33; cost £1,240.
The lodge was formerly located to the North West of the Bridge of Sighs and was removed to its present location by James Thomson in 1890 at the same time alterations were carried out to the Superintendent's House.
Other nearby listed buildings