This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8619 / 55°51'42"N
Longitude: -4.2351 / 4°14'6"W
OS Eastings: 260214
OS Northings: 665451
OS Grid: NS602654
Mapcode National: GBR 0QL.KD
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.XXGK
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ67+QX
Entry Name: Cathedral House, 28, 32, 53 Cathedral Square, Glasgow
Listing Name: 28-32 (Even Nos) Cathedral Square, John Knox Street, Cathedral House Hotel with Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375507
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32653
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dennistoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Campbell Douglas, dated 1896. 3-storey and attic Scottish
16th century style office and hostel building. Squared
and snecked red sandstone ashlar; brick rear.
Asymmetrical elevations and irregular ground plan.
CATHEDRAL SQUARE ELEVATION: 5 (irregular) bay, with
doorways in outer bays, that to right with tripartite,
stone mullioned fanlight and hoodmould, wider hoodmould
over-door and flanking window, to outer left, and string
course linking the 2. Gable at centre, with 2 bays of
windows below, and further gable to left, with apex
stack; tower rising flush with wallplane in penultimate
bay to right, with adjoining stack, corbelled dormerhead
flanking to right and corbelled angle of obliquely sited,
gabled S elevation; angle tourelle to outer left chamfered
JOHN KNOX STREET ELEVATION: 4-bay, with doorway in outer
left, fanlight detailed as above, and canted and corbelled
1st floor oriel to left of centre. Irregular windows in
remaining bays; gable to left, linked to NW corner
tourelle by parapet.
REAR ELEVATION: variety of window sizes.
Small-pane sash and case windows. Crowstepped gables
with beak skewputts. Westmorland slates and leaded ball
finials to cone-roofed towers. Modern rooflights.
GATEPIERS AND GATE: 2 squat columnar red ashlar
sandstone piers, with moulded necks and ball finials,
adjoined to coped wall of stugged, snecked sandstone.
Decorative wrought-iron gate.
Built for Discharged Prisoners' Aid Society, currently
serving as Cathedral House Hotel. Sited on an incline.
Other nearby listed buildings