This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.855 / 55°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.2555 / 4°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 258907
OS Northings: 664723
OS Grid: NS589647
Mapcode National: GBR 0LN.FW
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.L3R9
Entry Name: Clyde Street and South Portland Street, Suspension Bridge
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375523
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32668
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Kirkland, architect. George Martin, engineer.
1851-3. Rebuilt in 1851 to replace an early 19th-century
timber footbridge, wrought-ironwork rebuilt 1871 by Bell
and Miller to reduce the camber and increase the dip by 7'.
Suspension bridge over River Clyde with single span of
Pylons are classical triumphal archways composed of fluted
Ionic columns in antis flanked by Doric pilasters (paired
Doric pilasters to bridge face) in polished honey coloured
sandstone, central arch with moulded archivolt and
keystone. These support entablature with deep plain
frieze and cornice with blocking course. The chains break
through the frieze. The deck is made of wrought-iron
lattice girders and suspended on two pairs of 4 and 5 bar
flat link chains. The walkway is tarmacadamed. The
parapet is of thin latticework wrought-iron. The bridge
retains some of its original cast-iron lampbrackets.
A group with Victoria, Albert Union Railway, King George V and Jamaica bridges.
Originally a halfpenny was charged to pedestrians.
In 1926 girders, suspenders and floor were replaced in steel.
Other nearby listed buildings