This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.859 / 55°51'32"N
Longitude: -4.2423 / 4°14'32"W
OS Eastings: 259748
OS Northings: 665141
OS Grid: NS597651
Mapcode National: GBR 0PM.3G
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.TZ0S
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ55+H3
Entry Name: Central Fire Station, 23, 25, 27 Ingram Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 23-33 (Odd Nos) Ingram Street
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375612
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32731
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A B MacDonald, City Engineer, 1898-1900. Former Central
Fire Station, now (1988) coverted to flats.
4-storey and attic polished red sandstone upper floors,
polished pink Peterhead granite to ground floor. 9-bay
symmetrical frontage to Ingram Street. Wide depressed-
arch vehicle entrances to ground except to centre which
has bay window. Over ground, 2-storey canted oriels to
penultimate bays. To centre bay windows grouped in 3's
flanked by pilaster strips. Otherwise windows alternately
bipartite and single light, stone mullions and transoms,
sash and case with plate glass glazing.
Band courses over each floor and at cills, eaves cornice,
deep plain parapet. To penultimate and centre bays,
triangular gablets with oculi, apex finial. Tall, corniced,
wallhead and axial stacks; slate roofs.
Rear elevation glazed brick.
Engines and horses housed at ground floor, duty rooms
to 1st, officers flats to upper floors. Internal
arrangements now (1988) altered to domestic useage.
Former range of gallery access brick-built officers'
flats demolished, together with hose drying tower.
Other nearby listed buildings