This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8596 / 55°51'34"N
Longitude: -4.249 / 4°14'56"W
OS Eastings: 259333
OS Northings: 665224
OS Grid: NS593652
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.R7
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.PZVB
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ52+R9
Entry Name: Savings Bank Headquarters, 177 Ingram Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 177 Ingram Street with 99 Glassford Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375619
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32734
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Burnet, 1865-66, 3-storey and basement, Italianate banking premises in Glassford Street, with J J Burnet (Son) addition of single storey banking hall in Ingram Street, 1894-6 and further storey to earlier property, 1898-99. Sculpture by George Frampton. Cream ashlar
sandstone, channelled at ground.
GLASSFORD STREET: symmetrical, 7-bay. Channelled pilastered doorpiece with broken segmental pediment and cartouche flanked by lion and unicorn; tall windows flanking at ground. Mutuled cornice over ground floor. All windows architrave. Tripartite window, (broken by door pediment) at 1st floor, with consoled cornice; corniced windows flanking smaller windows to 2nd floor with carved panels flanking centre window. Frieze above with cornice and balustrade to Doric columned loggia of 3rd floor, added by J J Burnet (Son), with 8 round-arched windows main modillion cornice. Similar details over 8 bays behind banking hall on Ingram Street elevation.
INGRAM STREET BANKING HALL: recessed bay at centre with wide composite columned entrance, cartouche in shallow segmental pediment above door, enclosed by open and broken pediment on crouching Atlantes, enclosing aediculed niche with figure of St Mungo by George Frampton; carved
panels and urn finials to parapet die flanking entrance bay. Broken and open segmental pediments to windows in outer bays, sheltering initialled cartouches, and with cavetto reveals. Dentil row below mutuled cornice; rounded corners, slightly recessed and with taller parapets each adorned with carved panel. Return elevations each with tripartite window at centre set in Ionic and Doric flanked, slightly recessed bays, and each with broken, open segmental pediment, and cartouched segmental over centre light, but without aediculed niche. Dome above hall, leaded and glazed, crowned by diminutive, domed stone tempietto with obelisk finial. Variety of glazing patterns; modern windows at ground, plate-glass sash and case at 1st and 2nd floors and casements below semi-circular fanlights of 3rd floor. Partly gilded 2-leaf decorative wrought-iron gates.
INTERIOR OF BANKING HALL: fine Edwardian Baroque interior, currently serving as the main entrance to bank, since modification of 1975. Ornate plasterwork, fine woodwork including benches and masques to consoled counter; 2 sets of gilded 2-leaf gates to earlier building. Fine stained glass windows, including oculi of dome. Marble columns.
J J Burnet (Son) modified his original design to an arcaded 3rd floor after the RSA exhibition of 1896. David Walker has indicated the dome's diminutive reference to that of St Peter's. The sculptures by Frampton were carved by William Sheriffs of Glasgow.
Other nearby listed buildings