This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8541 / 55°51'14"N
Longitude: -4.2441 / 4°14'38"W
OS Eastings: 259619
OS Northings: 664602
OS Grid: NS596646
Mapcode National: GBR 0NP.R6
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.S35Z
Entry Name: 33 Turnbull Street, Former Church of St Andrew by the Green
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375715
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32790
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Andrew Hunter and William Paull, joint master masons; Thomas Thomson, wright; built 1750-1. Symmetrical classical church, the first in Glasgow to be built as an Episcopal church. Polished ashlar, stonecleaned. 1988, restoration work carried out and Church altered to suit secular usage.
Rectangular 2-storey church with 5-bay elevations to N and S, 3-bay elevations to E and W.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: each bay flanked by banded strip pilasters, centre 3 bays shallow advanced and pedimented. All windows single light, those to ground of squarer proportions, rectangular to 1st. All architraved with keystones and bracketted cills. Eaves cornice, plain parapet with urn finials. Pediment with central oculus and urn finialled apex. Slate roofs.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: centrally placed doorways, to W with projecting, polygonal, pilastered, single storey porch (an earlier 19th century addition). Above this, a round arched Gibbsian window formerly with stained glass window (probably by Stephen Adam). Otherwise all windows as main elevation, formerly all sash and case with small pane glazing, now (1988) blocked awaiting restoration. To W gable, openwork timber belfry.
Pediments with central oculus flanked by ornamental iron tie-plates.
INTERIOR, gutted 1987 for re-use as flats. Originally fine (if varied). Collection of Episcopal Church furnishings and fittings of 18th, 19th and 20th centuries all of good quality. The extent to which any original features may be re-instated is not known at time of writing.
Historically as well as stylistically important as the first Episcopal Church built in Glasgow.
Other nearby listed buildings