History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

151-157 (Odd Nos) Queen Street (St George's Buildings)

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8607 / 55°51'38"N

Longitude: -4.2521 / 4°15'7"W

OS Eastings: 259142

OS Northings: 665345

OS Grid: NS591653

Mapcode National: GBR 0ML.3V

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NYDJ

Entry Name: 151-157 (Odd Nos) Queen Street (St George's Buildings)

Listing Date: 6 July 1966

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375755

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32819

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

David Hamilton, circa 1834. 3-storey and attic
classical office building. Razor-sharp ashlar masonry.
Symmetrial 7 bays.
Entrance at centre, flanked by broad panelled pilasters
and with paired consoles to cornice; "St George's
Buildings" on lintel and 2-leaf panelled doors retained.
Modern shop front to right, with that to left retaining
earlier details, and with panelled pilasters closing
either side; frieze and cornice above. Giant order.
Corinthian pilasters dividing 1st and 2nd floor windows;
taller windows at 1st floor with pilastered jambs and
corniced, distinctive 12-pane glazing pattern; cill
course to architraved, 2nd floor windows. Fluted
entablature above 2nd floor with scrolled acanthus
panels as metopes; dentil cornice above. 3 centre bays
of attic breaking attic cornice with blocking course
above, and round-arched windows flanked by panelled
pilasters. Windows in flanking outer bays with
shouldered surrounds. Slate roof with slate-hung dormer.
Sash and case windows.

Statement of Interest

Built on site of Hamilton's earlier building in Queen

Street, the Theatre Royal of 1804, which was destroyed

in 1829. Built for Archibald MacLellan. David Walker

demonstrates the influence of Hamilton's use of the

Giant order on Alexander Thomson.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.