This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8607 / 55°51'38"N
Longitude: -4.2521 / 4°15'7"W
OS Eastings: 259142
OS Northings: 665345
OS Grid: NS591653
Mapcode National: GBR 0ML.3V
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NYDJ
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6X+75
Entry Name: St George's Buildings, 151, 153, 155, 157 Queen Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 151-157 (Odd Nos) Queen Street (St George's Buildings)
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375755
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32819
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
David Hamilton, circa 1834. 3-storey and attic
classical office building. Razor-sharp ashlar masonry.
Symmetrial 7 bays.
Entrance at centre, flanked by broad panelled pilasters
and with paired consoles to cornice; "St George's
Buildings" on lintel and 2-leaf panelled doors retained.
Modern shop front to right, with that to left retaining
earlier details, and with panelled pilasters closing
either side; frieze and cornice above. Giant order.
Corinthian pilasters dividing 1st and 2nd floor windows;
taller windows at 1st floor with pilastered jambs and
corniced, distinctive 12-pane glazing pattern; cill
course to architraved, 2nd floor windows. Fluted
entablature above 2nd floor with scrolled acanthus
panels as metopes; dentil cornice above. 3 centre bays
of attic breaking attic cornice with blocking course
above, and round-arched windows flanked by panelled
pilasters. Windows in flanking outer bays with
shouldered surrounds. Slate roof with slate-hung dormer.
Sash and case windows.
Built on site of Hamilton's earlier building in Queen
Street, the Theatre Royal of 1804, which was destroyed
in 1829. Built for Archibald MacLellan. David Walker
demonstrates the influence of Hamilton's use of the
Giant order on Alexander Thomson.
Other nearby listed buildings