This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8576 / 55°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.2645 / 4°15'52"W
OS Eastings: 258354
OS Northings: 665027
OS Grid: NS583650
Mapcode National: GBR 0JM.LZ
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.G1HB
Plus Code: 9C7QVP5P+25
Entry Name: Warehouse, 27-31 James Watt Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 27-59 (Odd Nos) James Watt Street and 42-52 (Even Nos) Brown Street
Listing Date: 10 February 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376459
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33067
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Baird (architect), Watson (builder), J Mossman
(sculptor). Warehouse dated 1854, raised circa 1880, enlarged
1910-12 by R Thomson, reconstructed 1932 by Clarke, Bell and
ORIGINAL BUILDING: substantial basement and tall single (?2)
storeys, 14 bays, (central 4 bays with 2 shallow breaks
forward). Yellow ashlar, channelled to 2 central bays. 2
large semi-circular headed cart entrances with 2-leaf
panelled doors and wickets, all ground floor windows in
semi-circular openings, blind at lower half, radial glazing
in heads. Entablature over ground. It is probable that the
5-light arcaded and pedimented storey, with the words
"Tobacco Warehouse" inscribed above the windows, was raised
to its present position circa 1880. The sculpted Royal
Insignia was part of the original scheme. Additional 3 bays
to S, 2 panelled and studded doors at ground, margined
windows above (corniced 1st) 12 and 15-pane glazing pattern.
CIRCA 1880 ADDITION: 1 storey added with windows in simple
margins. Pediment etc raised (see above). Eaves band and
1910-12: 1st plans 1910. Substantial 4-storey top hamper, red
sandstone facade. (Internal construction to a new system of
tensioned steel in floors anchored to columns, replaced in
1932 reconstruction.) 3rd to 4th storeys linked vertically in
panels, 5th/attic storey above cill course. Main cornice
2 additional bays to N, (1911-12). N addition with central
door and 2 flanking windows with decorative glazing, upper
storeys detailed as main building.
Brown Street: 1 wide centre bay, 6 flanking bays.
Semi-circular headed entrance in channelled triumphal arch
frame. Probably circa 1880 Venetian window over door and 6
flanking tall arched windows. Upper storeys as James Watt
Original building cost $10,000, built for Messrs Connal & Co.
(J Mossman made bust of William Connal 1856) for tobacco
storage (1832 Glasgow became a bonding port for tobacco.) The
1910-12 building technique was well reported in Journals and
even THE TIMES. THE GLASGOW HERALD report 1912 notes that
1854 building raised to 2 storeys "some 30 years ago".
Other nearby listed buildings