This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8571 / 55°51'25"N
Longitude: -4.2608 / 4°15'38"W
OS Eastings: 258586
OS Northings: 664963
OS Grid: NS585649
Mapcode National: GBR 0KN.C4
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.J18Q
Entry Name: 16 Robertson Street, Clyde Navigation Trust
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376542
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33113
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Sir J J Burnet. 1883-6 N section. 1905-8 corner with
Broomielaw. Beaux Art Renaissance with fine sculpture by
Albert Hodge. 3 tall storeys, basement and attic.
Polished granite base, rusticated ashlar to ground and
1st floors, polished above.
1883-6 SECTION: 5 N bays in Robertson Street, round-
arched openings to ground, 3 central form main loggia
entrance flanked by 2 boldly modelled projecting ships
prows, pedimented 1st floor, tetrastyle temple
frontispiece above with exotic composite capitals and
elaborately sculptured pediment with crowning Neptune
set-piece. Mullion and transom 2nd floor windows, taller
1905-8: 4 bays attached to S gable following 1883-6
designs with imposing circled corner with pilastered
drum, dome and crowning cupola. Details similar to
earlier block; engaged columns paired at angle with
oculus over each 2nd floor window, entablature much high
quality sculpture in capitals and bold sculptural
decoration at upper levels including figures of Watt,
Telford and Henry Bell (commissioned 1907) 2 massive
sculptures frame dome (1908).
INTERIOR: Exceptionally fine Edwardian interior work in
main rooms. Ionic dome detail of loggia continued in
entrance hall; at rear tall business hall with engaged
Pascal-type banded Doric columns flanking angles, boldly
coffered ceiling. Stair: ceramic tiled walls, cast-iron
balusters with regular out-flankers (braces) in similar
elegant design, screen at 2nd floor (now filled) leading
to elaborate 8-bay corridor (off-set at S) with
pendentive domes on engaged columns (subtle variation in
TRUST HALL: circular meeting hall, domed, 3 windows at
street angle, opposite 3 boldly columned bays with
nautical details, stencilled decoration; floral swagged
plasterwork in dome; stained glass in upper lights. Board
Room: tall room in centre of original frontispiece,
panelled for approx 10' with embossed paper to upper
walls, painted and panelled ceiling; large sliding doors
with elaborate hinges to rooms at either end; ship over
chimneypiece and original screen (could be raised and
lowered); stained glass in upper lights. 2 committee
rooms and dining room handsomely detailed, panelled etc.
All rooms contain original furnishings. Tall brick flue
with corbelled coping.
Illustration in THE ARCHITECT 1888 shows projected
campanile instead of dome finally built. Watercolour by
Jules Lessore. Original section cost $25,000.
Other nearby listed buildings