This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8623 / 55°51'44"N
Longitude: -4.2655 / 4°15'55"W
OS Eastings: 258313
OS Northings: 665551
OS Grid: NS583655
Mapcode National: GBR 0JL.F8
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.GX19
Plus Code: 9C7QVP6M+WR
Entry Name: St Vincent Street United Presbyterian Church, 265 St Vincent Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 261 St Vincent Street, St Vincent Street Church (Originally Up, Former United Free Church of Scotland, Now Free Church)
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376654
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33150
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Thomson (A and G Thomson) 1857-59. Greek Revival individually interpreted. Rectangular temple plan with lower aisles raised on full-storey podium containing halls and other apartments with graduated
plinth; tall rectangular tower at NE, linked to lower section and breaking into main body of church behind temple front. Ashlar. Hexastyle fluted Ionic temple fronts to N and S; entablature; pediment with antefixae and acroterion; dwarf-pilastered clerestory with ramped
blind openings to returns; pilastered aisles.
Ground floor outer bays: symmetrical anta, pedimented doorpieces set in die walls with linking entablature; dwarf pilastraded narrow windows in central bays.
W RETURN TO PITT STREET IN SLOPE OF HILL RISING TO FULL BASEMENT: recessed, consoled side entrance; ground floor continuous architraved small windows with paterae repeated at rear elevation. Pedimented doorpiece set in glazed pilastrade to rear elevation.
TOWER: banded ashlar; ramped openings with recessed, anta mullion; oblong openings with anthemion on panel. Consoled recessed panel; clock faces; ramped door in each direction; pinnacles; bell-shaped cupola on squat column colonnade, upper part open ribs.
INTERIOR: unusual internal arrangement - the floor of the church is contained in the upper part of the substructure, only the gallery level and above are within the "temple". Galleries and clerestory supported
on stylised Greek cast-iron columns; end walls with pilaster decoration; pulpit set in panelling; coffered ceiling decorations.
Built as United Presbyterian Church. From 1890 to 1929 it became a United Free Church, latterly Church of Scotland and now a Free Church. It is the only complete church by Alexander Thomson to survive.
Other nearby listed buildings