This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8624 / 55°51'44"N
Longitude: -4.2624 / 4°15'44"W
OS Eastings: 258506
OS Northings: 665563
OS Grid: NS585655
Mapcode National: GBR 0KL.17
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.HXJ5
Entry Name: 202-228 (Even Nos) St Vincent Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376669
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33163
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1830-5. Nos 202-216, 220-224 redeveloped behind the facade.
Greek revival terrace block altered to commercial. 3-storey and basement, partially altered 3-bay houses with 4-bay centre house. Ends and centre raised and advanced. 22 bays arranged 3-3-3-4-3-3-3. Ashlar, channelled at ground floor. Greek Ionic doorpieces at Nos 218, 220, and 226, consoled, corniced, architraved entrance at No 206, each entry at head of steps oversailing basement area. Sash and case windows
in architraves, some 12-pane glazing, altered to casements at ground and 1st floor, No 218 with ground floor windows in lugged architraves extending below cill and panelled aprons; 1st floor windows ramped, consoled and corniced; 3rd floor dropped architraves. Eaves cornice; balustraded die parapet.
No 218 remodelled by Sir J J Burnet 1899; small-pane casements inserted at ground and 1st floor; 1st floor balcony altered to solid balcony.
5-bay eastern return to West Campbell Street with 6-bay addition in same style of 1926. 2nd bay from S blind at 1st and 2nd floor; repeats main elevation detailing with corbelled cills at 1st floor.
Elevation to Blythswood Street repeats West Campbell Street detailing in 5 bays; 1st 2 bays from S blind; paired corniced wallhead stacks breaking through parapet.
INTERIORS: includes No 218: Greek revival chimneypiece in vestibule; columned hall screen; cast-iron balusters and to-lit domed stairwell with elaborate plasterwork. Ribbed and coffered ceilings to 1st floor rooms. Panelled library with carved chimneypiece.
No 218 remodelled for the Institute of Accountants and Actuaries by Sir J J Burnet. Nos 206-214 gutted and altered to offices with rear extension. No 220 altered to offices, John Honeyman 1892, further
alterations James Miller 1932.
Other nearby listed buildings