This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8629 / 55°51'46"N
Longitude: -4.2593 / 4°15'33"W
OS Eastings: 258702
OS Northings: 665604
OS Grid: NS587656
Mapcode National: GBR 0KL.N2
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.JWZV
Plus Code: 9C7QVP7R+47
Entry Name: 196, 198 West George Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 196, 198 West George Street and 118 Wellington Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376837
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33246
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1830. (Probably) a pair of flatted classical houses converted to offices. 2-storey and basement, 5 x 5 bays. Polished ashlar, droved ashlar return and rear elevation, channelled with voussoirs at ground floor. Basement blind; ground floor recessed windows set in arcade with moulded cills and plain aprons. Central Roman Ionic portico at head of stone steps oversailing basement at West George Street, dentil cornice; Ionic pilastered, arched doorpiece altered to window in centre bay at Wellington Street. 1st floor cill band; consoled, corniced windows, pedimented above entry on each elevation. Plain entablature; dentil band, eaves cornice; blocking course. Panelled scrolled, corniced wallhead stack with fluted pot to West George Street; 2
symmetrical corniced wallhead stacks to Wellington Street.
REAR ELEVATION: some 12-pane glazing. Corniced ashlar boundary wall with panels to N in Wellington Street and return to West Regent Lane.
Probably by John Brash (Gomme and Walker). Listed Category A for the quality of the elevation, now a rare unaltered survival.
Other nearby listed buildings