This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8566 / 55°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3 / 4°17'59"W
OS Eastings: 256131
OS Northings: 664995
OS Grid: NS561649
Mapcode National: GBR 09N.F9
Mapcode Global: WH3P7.X2K2
Plus Code: 9C7QVP42+J2
Entry Name: Town Hall, 401 Govan Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 401 Govan Road, Summertown Road Carmichael Street 1-11 Merryland Street (Odd Nos) Former Govan Town Hall
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376959
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33340
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Thomson and Sandilands, 1897-1902. Beaux Arts
Renaissance town hall with muncipal offices and council
chamber in E block and main hall in W block. Red
ashlar. Govan Road elevation: 2 storey, 13-bay,
central arched doorpiece, fine wrought-iron gate and
wooden doors, flanked by masks of former Provosts (in
spandrels) and arched windows in Gibb's surrounds.
1st floor 3 windows in swagged architraves under oculi,
behind tetrastyle Ionic portico. Entablature and pediment
with carved tympanum. 2 small square columned pavilions
with lead domes and urn finials. Ionic aedicule in front
of slated dome, latter topped by colonnaded cupola and
flanked by tall stacks. 4-bays to either side of portico,
ground floor windows in Gibb's surround, 1st floor in
architraves. Cornice, balustrade. Corner pavilions: 1st
floor arched windows between 2 Ionic columns. Eaves
balustrade, urn finials, slated square French roof with
oval oculi in pedimented dormers, lead pyramid roofs.
Summertown Road elevation: 2-storey, 16-bay, large gable
end to main hall at W. Some similar details. 3 central
bays advanced with oculus in stepped-up parapet,
pyramidal slate roof. Small 1st floor hall to W with
elaborate cupola in centre of ridge. Entrance to main
hall: 3 arched doors with elaborate wrought-iron gates
between 4 columns carrying wrought-iron balcony, band
course and large Diocletian window, carved tympana
between paired Ionic pilasters, entablature and pediment.
Flanking towers with oculi at ground and 2nd floors,
pedimented windows at 1st and lead domed pavilions on 4
piers and Ionic columns at top.
Carmichael Street: 2-storey, 10-bay; 1st floor large
gallery windows, corniced balustrade. Ornate cupola in
centre of ridge.
Merryland Street: 2-storey, 15-bay block similar to
Summertown Road elevation with small 3-storey section
and 6 central bays added in 1902, enclosing yard with
2 doors and arched cart entry with iron gate. Rear of
hall: semi-circular drum with balustrade rises from
1-storey projection. Slate roofs. Most windows are
original sash and case.
Interior: E section, municipal offices, now Social Work
Dept: arched vestibule, mosaic floor with Govan arms.
Panelled marble dado. Corbelled plaster cornice, Art
Nouveau capitals to pillars and keystones in arches.
Panelled wooden doors to Council chamber and Burgh
officials rooms. Stairs rise from either side of door to
landing, balusters and marble Ionic columns, 1st floor
majolica tiled dado in corridors and pedimented wooden
Council chamber: domed skylight, but side windows
blocked. Chandelier. Plaster panelled ceiling, ornate
plaster pilasters, arch with GBC in keystone under
pediment, smaller arched doors. Modern timber dado and
wallpaper. Main hall: only the curved panelled pilaster
ceiling and part-fluted Ionic columns in gallery survived
1973 refurbishment. Apart from some tiles at the
W entrance and curved plaster roof in foyer, nothing else
survives in the section managed by Glasgow District Halls
The independent Burgh of Govan's answer to Glasgow town hall.
The section used by Social Work Dept is intact but the
interior of the Halls at W was obliterated in 1973. All the
majolica tiles in the corridors and stairs, dado and gallery
wood panelling, pedimented doors, art nouveau
wrought-iron banisters and ceilings of lesser halls have
been destroyed. The magnificent proscenium arch
(plaster sculpted by A M McFarlane Shannan), art
nouveau with figures supporting the ship of Govan has
been replaced by a small plaque with Glasgow's shield.
Other nearby listed buildings