This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8362 / 55°50'10"N
Longitude: -4.2963 / 4°17'46"W
OS Eastings: 256289
OS Northings: 662711
OS Grid: NS562627
Mapcode National: GBR 0BW.5M
Mapcode Global: WH3P7.ZKBS
Plus Code: 9C7QRPP3+FF
Entry Name: Outbuilding, Hagg's Castle, 100 St Andrew's Drive, Pollokshields, Glasgow
Listing Name: 100 St Andrews Drive, Haggs Castle, Including Outbuilding
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377161
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33467
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Pollokshields
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
L-plan tower house still building in 1587, but dated
1585, seat of Maxwells until 1595; abandoned 1753 and
restored in 1850s, presumably by John Baird II, as
factor's house; enlarged wide stair turret, with
entrance, near centre on principal front, with conical-
roofed bartizan, probably circa 1890; low N wing said to
be 1899-1900. Divided into flats in 1940s, converted
1972-6 to present use as children's museum. 3 storeys
with attics; rubble-built, ashlar dressings with
distinctive use of cable mouldings, crow-stepped gables,
slate roofs. Jamb (at W end of S front) mainly rebuilt
by Baird, originally with generously proportioned stair
leading to principal floor, original door in re-
entrant angle with elaborate ornament over; projecting
stair turret on W flank rises above ground floor; one
distinctive tall wall head dormer is original; stacks
include massive E gable stack over kitchen fireplace.
Sash windows. Interior mainly 19th century, reproducing
details of external ornament; one elaborate, original
chimneypiece. Low OUTBUILDING to W mainly late 18th/19th
century, incorporating dormer head from Castle.
Inscription over door "1585/NI DOMINE/AEDES STRUXE/RIT
FRUSTRA STRUIS/SR JHON MAXWELL OF POLLOK KNY/CHT AND
D MARGARET CONYNGHN/HIS WYF BIGGET THIS HOWS"
One of a series of buildings of the 1570s-90s in the W
by the same school of masons; cf Kenmure, MacLellan's
Castle, Dunderave, Gylen, Seagate Castle Irvine etc, all
with cable mouldings/dog-tooth/chequer-corbelling.
MacGibbon and Ross have pointed out similarties with
Other nearby listed buildings