This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8518 / 55°51'6"N
Longitude: -4.2643 / 4°15'51"W
OS Eastings: 258348
OS Northings: 664383
OS Grid: NS583643
Mapcode National: GBR 0JQ.N1
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.G5MS
Plus Code: 9C7QVP2P+P7
Entry Name: Paint Warehouses, 104-118 Tradeston Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 104-118 Tradeston Street (Even Nos), Return Elevation to Cook Street Former Clydesdale Paint, Colour and Oil Works
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377287
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33538
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
The complex consists of 6 sections:
1. 104-6 Tradeston Street: H and D Barclay 1888. 4-storey 9-bay paint warehouse. Ashlar front, brick sides and rear. Segmental arched ground and first floor windows, similarly arched door and cart entrance. Cornices at ground and 3rd floors, cill bands at 2nd and 3rd floors. A stag's head shield (the trademark) at 1st floor, plaque dated 1888 at 2nd floor. Central pediment with stag's head removed.
Interior: iron columns, steel beams, wooden floors and flues. Slate roof with brick gable end stacks.
2. 118 Tradeston Street: W F McGibbon 1900: 4-storey 8-by 4-bay corner warehouse in brick Venetian Gothic style. Ground floor pointed arched, wooden-framed, windows with cill string course. 3 pointed arched doorways, 2 to Tradeston Street, one of which has been widened. Corner has terracotta stag's head plaques. Tall lancets rise through 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors with cill string courses at 1st and 2nd floors. Narrow corbelled pilaster strips between each lancet. Blank rear. Machicolated parapet raised at corner with stone quatrefoils, crenellation removed. Corner tower has 4 narrow lancets, machicolation and Ghibelline crenellation.
Interior: Iron columns, steel girders and corrugated iron and concrete floors. Timber attic. Slate roof.
3. Behind 1888 warehouse, the paint grinding and mixing rooms, 2 sections, 1888. 2-storey, iron columns and sheet iron floors, part with round holes for the tanks. Glazed roofs and ridge ventilators (to extract paint fumes) square and circular section brick chimneys rise from inside the buildings.
4. Facing yard: WF McGibbon, 1896 3-storey and attic brick varnish factory on ground floor iron colonnade. Dormer hoist.
Owned by Blacklock and MacArthur, founded 1876, largely rebuilt 1888. Slogan: "Ask for the stag brand". Later ICI. The former offices and sample room of 1876 at 161-177 West Street, and a similar block between the offices and Tradeston Paint Mills, were demolished 2002 and replaced with modern timber-faced residential block associated with housing conversion at no 133 Wallace Street (listed separately).
Other nearby listed buildings