This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8715 / 55°52'17"N
Longitude: -4.2793 / 4°16'45"W
OS Eastings: 257482
OS Northings: 666602
OS Grid: NS574666
Mapcode National: GBR 0FG.MZ
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.7PH7
Plus Code: 9C7QVPCC+H7
Entry Name: Glasgow And West Of Scotland College Of Domestic Science, Park Drive, Glasgow
Listing Name: 11 Eldon Street, Park Drive, Park Avenue, St Andrew's Teachers Training College, Former Queen's College, with Railings
Listing Date: 13 April 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377300
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33548
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Walter Robert Watson, of Cowan and Watson, 1913. Rectangular plan educational establishment with Late Renaissance detailing sited on falling ground with light well to rear and 3-storey (3rd as classical attic) with basement and mansard attic. Red sandstone ashlar, bull-faced to basement with frieze and string course above; channelled pilasters to pedimented bays pilaster quoins to E angle dentilled cornice above 1st floor; cornice and ashlar balustrade with moulded dies at wallhead. Architraved windows.
SW (Park Drive) elevation: 19 symmetrical bays (3-1-5-1-5-1-3) with doorways in outer single bays. Doorpieces comprised of banded pilasters below substantial consoles bearing dentilled segmental-arched stone hood, surrounding round-arched, keystoned doorways with fanlights. 2-leaf panelled doors; Basement recess oversailed with bridges and railings. Single bays each with pediment above 1st floor and eaves cornice arched over segmental 2nd floor segmental windows. Ground floor windows of 11 centre bays and penultimate bays with swept trapezoid pediments carved in recess with cornucopiae. Narrower windows flanking those in penultimate bays at each floor.
SE (Park Avenue) elevation: 10-bay, broad blank bay to outer left with moulded wallhead stack breaking balustrade on Renaissance corbel. Entrance bays (3rd and 7th from left) with pediments above 1st floor windows; round-arched doorway to stair in 3rd bay with keystone and voussoirs; stair windows above, round-arched with broken pediment at 1st floor. Carved pediments (as above) to all other ground floor windows. Secondary door to basement on falling ground with keystone in 7th bay.
6-, 8-, and 12-pane windows (latter predominating) with top hoppers. Red sandstone, corniced stacks. Copper mansard sited toward main elevation with window to each bay and ventilators.
Substantial additions to NW, James Monro and Son, 1938, and to NE, Building Design Partnership, 1976.
Interior: not seen, 1991.
Railings: decorative cast-iron railings to SW with moulded ashlar posts and polygonal caps at intervals.
Built for Glasgow and West Of Scotland College of Domestic Science, created in 1908 by merger of West End School of Cookery and the larger Glasgow School. Before it opened its doors to students it served as a hospital for officers during the First World War. Renamed Queen's College in 1975 when the college chose to diversify. Taken over as St Andrew's Teachers Training College 2002 when new entrance from Eldon Street established.
Other nearby listed buildings