This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8286 / 55°49'42"N
Longitude: -4.2153 / 4°12'55"W
OS Eastings: 261331
OS Northings: 661705
OS Grid: NS613617
Mapcode National: GBR 0VZ.KB
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.6RYL
Plus Code: 9C7QRQHM+CV
Entry Name: Rutherglen Tower And Fragments Of Old Church, Rutherglen Old Parish Church, Main Street, Rutherglen, Glasgow
Listing Name: Main Street, Rutherglen Tower and Fragments of Old Church
Listing Date: 4 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377313
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33563
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Rutherglen Central and North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Essentially late medieval but much rebuilt and perhaps incorporating earlier fabric. Fragments of former church comprising E gable and square tower. Ashlar. TOWER was heightened 1710, and given its present appearance; it has door at E and round-headed opening near eaves, buttress central on either flank and clock face; chamfered openings; slated broach spire also 1710 with gilded balls and weathercock, large louvred openings a later alteration.. Column base lies alongside. 1635 bell by Michael Burgerhuys of Middleburgh, Holland.
Series of carved stones including 12th century capitals held in museum. In 1841, 3 clocks were for sale locally, those from St Enoch's, the Bridgegate steeple, and St David's, and one of these was bought for Rutherglen.
Other nearby listed buildings