This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8286 / 55°49'42"N
Longitude: -4.2146 / 4°12'52"W
OS Eastings: 261375
OS Northings: 661700
OS Grid: NS613617
Mapcode National: GBR 0VZ.QC
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.7R9M
Plus Code: 9C7QRQHP+C5
Entry Name: Town Hall, Rutherglen, Glasgow
Listing Name: 131, 139 Main Street, Rutherglen, District Council Offices (Originally Town Hall)
Listing Date: 4 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377314
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33564
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Rutherglen Central and North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Charles Wilson, 1861-2. Town hall with tower. Scots baronial. Large E range by Robert Dalgleish and John Thomson, 1876. Converted to offices 1967 by Rogerson and Spence and interior much altered. Stone-cleaned as hlar, roofs mainly slated. Original building; 2 storeys and attic, wide gabled street elevation with bartizans, large 1st floor corbelled oriel originally lighting hall (large mullioned and transomed hall windows to crenellated W flank), attic windows (pair set at foot of gable) with strap-worked dormer heads. Square tower to right has door at foot, below 1902 cast-iron canopy, and main stair within, stepped corbel tables at upper level, clock set in crow-stepped table-heads, bartizans and corbelled stair turret with cap-house. Large cast-iron lion mask spouts on W flank like those at Thirlstane. E Range more Jacobean than baronial 3 storeys with regular bays, decorative continuous moulding over window given different treatment on each floor, well-head gable at right and bartizan. 20th century addition to rear.
Upgraded B to A, 7 January 1997.
Other nearby listed buildings