History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

183 Meiklerig Crescent and Templeland Road St James' Pollok Church of Scotland Including Hall and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Cardonald, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8345 / 55°50'4"N

Longitude: -4.3483 / 4°20'54"W

OS Eastings: 253022

OS Northings: 662632

OS Grid: NS530626

Mapcode National: GBR 3N.5GLY

Mapcode Global: WH3P7.5MM2

Entry Name: 183 Meiklerig Crescent and Templeland Road St James' Pollok Church of Scotland Including Hall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377393

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33601

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Cardonald

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Govan

Description

H E Clifford church of 1893-5 re-sited here 1951 by Thomson, McCrea and Sanders and with early 20th century hall at N. CHURCH is gothic. Red ashlar with unusual surface tooling, probably re-cut; hood-moulded, traceried windows. Roughly cruciform-plan, tall paired windows in buttressed lofty W transept, latter linked by low shallow side aisle to large porch at S end of nave; gallery stair turret on transept N wall. Slated roofs. Set behind boundary wall with railings linking intermediate piers, large drum gatepiers near porch. Interior shares characteristics with Clifford's Cathcart Parish Church (as do the plan and street front); exposed stonework; aisle arcades, tall 2-arched opening to W transept, area below gallery now screened off; rood screen re-used at side chapel opposite; shallow gallery at S, distinctive panelled front; open-timbered roof.

Hall has traceried window in W gable and is linked to church.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally Titwood Established church, Glencairn Drive; original foundation stone laid by Lord Blythswood 18 November 1893; church re-opened on this site 2 June 1951.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.