This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8718 / 55°52'18"N
Longitude: -4.2636 / 4°15'48"W
OS Eastings: 258464
OS Northings: 666604
OS Grid: NS584666
Mapcode National: GBR 0JG.SW
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.GPY0
Plus Code: 9C7QVPCP+PH
Entry Name: Leisure Centre, 10 Braid Square, Glasgow
Listing Name: North Woodside Leisure Centre (Former North Woodside Baths and Washhouse), 10 Moncreiff Street, Braid Square, Glasgow
Listing Date: 6 April 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377747
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33775
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Carrick, 1880-82. 2-storey, 13-bay, rectangular-plan, Italian Renaissance former baths and public washhouse on prominent corner site; interior substantially reconstructed 1989-91. Cream coloured sandstone ashlar, chanelled rusticated arcaded bays to break-fronted pedimented entrance. Deep base course, corniced cill course; corniced eaves and blocking course. Moulded architraved openings. Widely spaced bays to flanking wings (3 bays to left, 7 bays to right), large oculi above ground floor windows. Similar fenestration pattern to 4-bay returns. Modern extensions to rear.
Predominatly non-traditional replacement windows. Pitched slate roof with glazed rooflights over original pool area to S.
INTERIOR: (seen 2013). Largely reconstructed 1989-91. Timber roof and columned gallery, retained.
North Woodside Baths and Washhouse was designed by Glasgow City Architect John Carrick in 1880, and is a good survivor of its building type. The principal block is a good example of imposing classical design with high quality stone detailing and bold use of oculi (round windows). It is also known as Scotland's oldest operational public baths. The interior was largely reconstructed in 1989-91
Built at the corner of Braid Square and Moncrieff Street on land sold by the City Improvement Trust, the baths opened to the public on 13th August 1882 and formerly contained two swimming pools (one each for men and women) and twenty-seven private baths as well as sixty-seven stalls in the washhouse or 'steamie'.
Swimming clubs and bath houses were established in Scotland from the 1850s following the enactment of the 1846 Act to Encourage the Establishment of Public Baths and Wash-houses, which was established to improve general public health with access for all classes of citizen. With the rapid expansion of urban population, often living and working in unsanitary conditions, bath and wash houses were seen as essential public services. The Act, which affected the whole of Britain, encouraged local authorities to open up these facilities in areas of dense population. While men and women did not mix at these facilities, women would have had their own separate entrance, however they would have to attend at certain times when the male pools were not in use. It would not be until the 1870s when separate ladies pools were being considered in bath and wash house design. These bath and wash houses soon started to cater for recreational swimming rather than washing and became a hugely popular social past time during the 20th century.
John Carrick was born at Larbert in Stirlingshire on 6 May 1819. In 1854 Carrick succeeded John Strang as Superintendent of Public Works and went on later to have a big role in drafting the Glasgow Improvement Act of 1866 which brought the City Improvement Trust into being. Carrick was directly involved in the major street improvements in Ingram Street, High Street and Gallowgate, including the building of model lodging houses and a couple of experimental model tenements in Drygate. Carrick was also the architect responsible or several other baths in Glasgow; Greenhead (1878), Cranstonhill (1883), Townhead (1884), and the Gorbals (1885), all of which have been demolished.
Category changed from B to C and list description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).
Other nearby listed buildings