This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.814 / 55°48'50"N
Longitude: -4.1998 / 4°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 262254
OS Northings: 660054
OS Grid: NS622600
Mapcode National: GBR 3V.6LDX
Mapcode Global: WH4QM.G4B6
Plus Code: 9C7QRR72+J3
Entry Name: Halls And Session House, Burnside Parish Church, Church Avenue, Glasgow
Listing Name: Burnside Road, Church Avenue, Burnside Parish Church Including Halls, Session House, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 14 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377784
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33788
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Rutherglen South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Stewart & Paterson, 1909-11 as St Gilbert's Church, Pollokshields; re-located here 1950-4, including (plainer) halls, and polygonal session house which were built 1926-8 to designs by J J Craig & Son. Prominently sited, on an eminence overloocking Burnside.
Gothic style, with lancets. All built of rock-faced red ashlar with polished dressings (some concealed elevations faced in 1950's brick); slate roofs.
CHURCH is rectangular, with a triple-light Dunblane-type main gable facing north (otherwise mostly paired lancets), west flank a version of, eg H E Clifford's Titwood (1893-5) - ie with side aisle linking porch at one end, transept at the other; on east flank, no side aisle and no porch, but a doorway and a polygonal and shallow transept. Interior fitings also original and re-located, except organ from Belmont church. Polygonal-ended session house adjoins church east gable, ranges beyond including main hall, which has a stepped 3-lifht window.
Retaining wall to front also in red ashlar; also steps and iron lambs and railings.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings