This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8493 / 55°50'57"N
Longitude: -4.2274 / 4°13'38"W
OS Eastings: 260650
OS Northings: 664026
OS Grid: NS606640
Mapcode National: GBR 0SQ.4Y
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.177Q
Plus Code: 9C7QRQXF+M3
Entry Name: Bank, 42 Bridgeton Cross, Glasgow
Listing Name: 40-42 (Even Nos) Bridgeton Cross and 3 Landressy Street
Listing Date: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377858
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33821
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: asymmetrical entrance elevation to N (Bridgeton Cross) with 3 tall windows to tetrastyle Ionic-columned frontispiece (columns of polished granite) to pedimented banking hall at right; 2 windows to each floor above flanking coat of arms at 2nd floor and pilaster at 3rd floor rising into wallhead pediment with statue of lion rampant. Broad Roman Doric doorpiece to left with canted window and single window at each floor above. Landressy Street (W) elevation with 5 arcaded windows below further coat of arms, regular fenestration above.
Predominantly replacement tilt-and-turn windows; some timber. Channelled and corniced wallhead and angle stacks with decorative swag panels.
This is a prominent and distinctive former bank building situated on a corner site which adds significantly to the streetscape of the area. It has a substantial amount of fine and ornate detail and the design is an unusual one. Originally a Glasgow Savings Bank, the building was built from red Locharbriggs sandstone and was one of the last buildings to complete the rebuilding of Bridgeton Cross which had begun in the 1860s and 70s.
Bridgeton was a weaving village built on the Barrowfield lands in 1705. It was known as Barrowfield until 1775-6 when the Rutherglen Bridge was built along with a new road to the north boundary, now known as Bridgeton Cross. The 18th century origins and much of the 19th century development have disappeared, except for the area around Bridgeton Cross. This area was compulsorily purchased and cleared by the City Improvement Trust in the 1860s and 70s in order to demolish the existing housing and erect new housing.
John Gordon, circa 1835 -1912 was born in Paisley. He practised mainly in Glasgow and his works include a number of tenements and commercial buildings.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings