This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8494 / 55°50'57"N
Longitude: -4.2268 / 4°13'36"W
OS Eastings: 260688
OS Northings: 664046
OS Grid: NS606640
Mapcode National: GBR 0SQ.7W
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.17JL
Plus Code: 9C7QRQXF+Q7
Entry Name: 621 London Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 577-621 (Odd Nos) London Road, 2-4 (Even Nos) Kerr Street and 3-5 (Odd Nos) Orr Street, Former Bridgeton Cross Station and Tenements
Listing Date: 9 August 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377923
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33853
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
STATION: base course; partial channelled ashlar to ground; moulded cill course to 1st floor; dentiled cornice with blocking course above. Tall ground floor with 7-bay keystoned arched arcade to centre with long ashlar panel above. Windows to 1st floor with plate glass to timber sash windows. Flanking: slightly advanced outer pavilions with square moulded architraves to doorways; round windows to 1st floor; segmental arched pediments and moulded swags above cornice.
TENEMENTS: long elevations with shops to ground, separated by moulded round-arched doorways. Projecting cills and cill courses to single or mullioned windows to 3rd and 4th floors divided by narrow pilasters, carried upwards as chimneys to centre bays. Steeply pitched pyramidal roofs at outer ends with decorative cast-iron finials. Raised drying courts with iron-railings to rear and small pavilion blocks.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Broad narrow ridge stacks with some clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
The former Bridgeton Cross Station and flanking tenements are a fine example of late 19th century mixed-use development, designed as a group for the North British Railway (NBR). The flanking tenement blocks serve to create a unified streetscape set piece. The classical station frontage remains largely unaltered and is notable for its distinguished arcading and restrained Baroque detailing. It was the terminal for the Balloch and Helensburgh services. Owned by the NBR until 1923 and then London and North Eastern Railways until 1948 when the railways were nationalised. It became the Bridgeton Central Station in 1954 and was closed to passengers in 1979 and subsequently redeveloped internally for mixed commercial and residential use in the late 1980s.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings