This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8483 / 55°50'53"N
Longitude: -4.2261 / 4°13'33"W
OS Eastings: 260728
OS Northings: 663913
OS Grid: NS607639
Mapcode National: GBR 0SR.D9
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.18VH
Plus Code: 9C7QRQXF+8H
Entry Name: Bridgeton Cross Mansions, 22-26 Dalmarnock Road, Bridgeton, Glasgow
Listing Name: 2-26 (Even Nos) Dalmarnock Road and 1-11 (Odd Nos) Main Street Bridgeton, Bridgeton Cross Mansions
Listing Date: 16 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377867
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33826
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: bowed corner with quadripartite windows above ground giving way to frieze with 'BRIDGETON CROSS MANSIONS' and curved pediment with flanking chimney dies and decorative brackets. Slated conical roof has ornamental ogee dome and decorative ironwork finial. Full-height (above ground) canted window bays punctuate regularly-disposed fenestration to Dalmarnock Street at NE. Main Street elevation to W comprises a short range of 5-bays above ground on with full-height canted window closing outer right bay.
Largely plate glass glazing in timber sash and case window. Coped ashlar stacks.
Bridgeton Cross Mansions is a well-detailed tenement making a significant contribution to the streetscape with its dignified classical elements and unusual bowed corner treatment. It is situated at the junction of London Road and main routes to Gorbals, Rutherglen and Dalmarnock, and close to the separately listed cast iron octagonal Bridgeton Cross Shelter. The tenement is a rare survivor in an area which once boasted a "grid of tenement-lined main streets" (Williamson, Riches and Higgs).
John Cunningham was born in Aberdeen circa 1852. He moved to Glasgow soon after December 1875 and built up a large tenement practice. The design for Bridgeton Cross Mansions was not executed exactly in accordance with the drawings. It is a slightly earlier version of Cunningham's 1897 building at Duke Street and Hunter Street (listed separately) where the corner bay is very similar and has a public house at the ground floor. After his death in 1904, the practice was continued by Alexander L Kerr in Cunningham's name, only becoming Cunningham and Kerr in 1909.
Bridgeton was a weaving village built on the Barrowfield lands in 1705. It was known as Barrowfield until 1775-6 when the Rutherglen Bridge was built along with a new road to the north boundary, now known as Bridgeton Cross. The 18th century origins and much of the 19th century development have disappeared, except for the area around Bridgeton Cross.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings