This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.849 / 55°50'56"N
Longitude: -4.2264 / 4°13'35"W
OS Eastings: 260709
OS Northings: 663998
OS Grid: NS607639
Mapcode National: GBR 0SR.B1
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.17PX
Plus Code: 9C7QRQXF+JC
Entry Name: Shelter, Bridgeton Cross, Glasgow
Listing Name: Bridgeton Cross, Shelter
Listing Date: 16 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377853
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33818
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Columns between round-arched bays with decorative filigree iron-work to spandrels and frieze. 4 bays with decorative brackets. Interior with central column and decorative iron brackets to roof.
2-stage cupola with clock at 2nd stage. Ogee roof above and surmounted by metal finial.
This elaborately decorated and finely detailed cast iron shelter forms a major focal point for the East End of Glasgow. Situated in the centre of a 7-way road junction, it is an important and crucial landmark. The decoration is particularly fine and the cupola is a distinctive addition, adding a sense of grandeur. It is an excellent and rare example of this type of street furniture.
The shelter is known locally as "The Umbrella" and it was gifted to the city by the foundry to provide shelter and to be a covered meeting place for the people of the area. Recently restored, it now forms a colourful and eye-catching focal point.
George Smith & Co Ltd, Sun Foundry, was founded in 1858. They were one of a number of internationally renowned iron foundries to come out of Scotland.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings