This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8564 / 55°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.2371 / 4°14'13"W
OS Eastings: 260069
OS Northings: 664844
OS Grid: NS600648
Mapcode National: GBR 0QN.5C
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.W2J6
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ47+H5
Entry Name: Hall, 35 East Campbell Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 29-35 (Odd Nos) East Campbell Street, Lodging House Mission Including Hall, Vestry
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377871
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33829
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
INTERIOR: floor added 1936 at balcony level; coombed ceiling with elaborate moulded plasterwork details and ceiling roses. Slender cast-iron columns with foliate capitals between windows.
FORMER VESTRY/HALL/SCHOOLROOM TO RIGHT (N): 2 storey, 3-bay hall following palazzo style. Lino-stoned ashlar. Bipartite windows to central bay; cast iron railings to ground floor windows. Round-arched windows to 1st floor. Moulded cornice, blocking course over with raised central section and pair of octagonal chimney cans.
Traditional glazing pattern and timber framed windows throughout, some with decorative panels and coloured margins. Cast iron rainwater goods.
An impressive, well-proportioned and finely detailed United Presbyterian church built at a cost of £6,500 to seat 1400, making it one of the largest in Glasgow at that time. John Haig and David Paton Low won the commission in a limited design competition. The confident use of the Italian palazzo style and the detailing adds significantly to the interest of the streetscape. The galleries and seating were removed by architects, Wylie Wright and Wylie in 1932-3 and a floor was added to provide social centre accommodation at ground floor and continued use as a church on the upper floor.
The former vestry/hall/schoolroom to the right adds considerably to the group value here, contributing stylistic unity to the streetscape. Designed in a similar vein to the church, it is understood to have been built slightly earlier.
The Haig & Low partnership practiced in Glasgow from 1859 until 1875. John Haig was born in Glasgow. David Paton Low was from Dundee where he trained and from where he won the Soane Medallion. The partnership became prominent after winning third place in the Wallace Monument competition of 1859 but apart from the East Campbell Street Church its early success was not maintained.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings