This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.852 / 55°51'7"N
Longitude: -4.2457 / 4°14'44"W
OS Eastings: 259511
OS Northings: 664374
OS Grid: NS595643
Mapcode National: GBR 0NP.DY
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.R5FL
Entry Name: 4 Florence Street/ Glasgow Green, Weir and Pipe Bridge
Listing Date: 16 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377880
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33835
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A caul (weir) to control the water level upstream was first built 1852. Present successor structure, comprising moving sluice gates plus bridges carrying pipes, is of principally 2 building periods.
a. Handsome, classical, red ashlar piers and abutments built 1896-1901 to design of A B MacDonald, city engineer, part of an arrangement which overall was essentially similar to that now existing, and on which Sir Benjamin Baker was consulted.
b. 2 parallel and identical bridges, each carrying a services pipe, linked at top and with decking; all steelwork supplied by Ransomes and Rapier, Ltd., of Ipswich (inscribed plate, dated 1945), and completed 1949.
One of the only examples in Scotland of a moveable river-control weir, another also by Ransome and Rapier is at the Falls of the Clyde above Bonnington Power Station, Near Lanark, 1926, this marks the limit of the tidal part of the Clyde. It is a technically significant element in the management of a very important river.
Other nearby listed buildings