This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8504 / 55°51'1"N
Longitude: -4.2326 / 4°13'57"W
OS Eastings: 260325
OS Northings: 664163
OS Grid: NS603641
Mapcode National: GBR 0RQ.2J
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Y6MV
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ28+5W
Entry Name: Templeton's Carpet Factory, 62 Templeton Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 62 Templeton Street, Templeton Carpet Factory
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377929
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33857
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Carpet factory built in stages, principal element William Leiper's spectacular Venetian gothic facade of 1889, to W. Other ranges mostly red brick. Principally 4/3 storeys. Converted c1985 to a business centre, inner ranges demolished at that time to form a courtyard. LEIPER'S W RANGE red terra-cotta, multi-coloured glazed bricks and faience (the glaze damaged by cleaning), extravagantly detailed openings with cusping, mouldings, parapets, roundels at top floor; near symmetrical with emphasis at centre, stair turret corbelled at SW angle. Wide square tower set back from wall-heads rises a storey above. Carpet factory founded on this site 1857; earliest range was a cut-down (2-storey) former cotton mill of circa 1823 (demolished); additions include 1868-9 3-storey 16-bay range at S end of Templeton Street; weaving sheds 1881-9. Long (N) front to London Road, framed buildings, the earliest in red brick, built 1897; bays in vertical panels, 4 storeys plus full attic storey; to right (W), long range with deep recess, large glazed panels; at left, on corner with Templeton Street, fronted in glass with white faience bands between floors, 1934 addition by George Boswell who in 1938 also designed the SE range facing Glasgow Green, which similarly, is mostly glass-fronted, decorative polychrome upper works in deference to Leiper's building adjoining.
Contemporary comments on Leiper's bvuilding include "rather startling"; "the colours are harmonious, if rather louder than one is used to". (Buildings of Scotland notes).
Other nearby listed buildings