This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8211 / 55°49'15"N
Longitude: -4.3035 / 4°18'12"W
OS Eastings: 255783
OS Northings: 661049
OS Grid: NS557610
Mapcode National: GBR 3Q.66TQ
Mapcode Global: WH3P7.VYXC
Plus Code: 9C7QRMCW+CJ
Entry Name: Round Toll, 1 Barrhead Road, Pollokshaws, Glasgow
Listing Name: 1 Barrhead Road, Junction with Pollokshaws Road and Nether Auldhouse Road, Toll House Formerly 1 Cross Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378068
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33915
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Newlands/Auldburn
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Circa 1820. Single storey, circular-plan classical former tollhouse with low conical slated roof and central apex stack; openings regularly spaced around building (now boarded). Large squared, coursed and droved sandstone rubble, sandstone ashlar margined openings with indented arrises, base course, banded eaves course (cement repair). Sited on major road junction within central roundabout.
Radially slated small slate roof. Cast iron rainwater goods. Rendered central circular stack. Pair timber boarded shutters with decorative strap hinges. Windows missing (2013). (evidence of 12 pane timber sash and case windows).
INTERIOR: (not seen 2013). Known to be in derelict condition in 2013 with remnants of lathe and plaster and a 1950s fireplace.
The Pollokshaws Tollhouse, built circa 1820, is a good example of a purpose built earlier 19th century toll house demonstrating a simple well executed design and a rare surviving example of a building of this age in the area which was largely redeveloped in the 20th century. It remains largely in its original form and makes a good historic contribution to otherwise later 20th century the streetscape.
Pollokshaws was an independent weaving settlement originating from the early 18th century to the south of Glasgow. It was an important crossing place of two major roads: the Glasgow to Irvine Road and the Rutherglen to Govan Road. The Turnpike Act was introduced 1822 to ensure a good network of roads to encourage trade and the Pollokshaws Tollhouse was built around this time on this key road junction. Pollokshaws retained the sense of an independent burgh for some time despite being merged with Glasgow in 1912. From 1961 to 1974 a major planning redevelopment and slum clearance of the area, including work by Glasgow-based architects, Boswell, Mitchell and Johnson, altered the character and it became largely a mid 20th century suburb of Glasgow.
The Toll House is the only surviving example of this building type in the Pollokshaws area, others were demolished as part of the planning and road improvement schemes in the 20th century.
After the tolls were abolished in the late 1880s the Toll House had various different uses ranging from a carriage hirer, a public house and used as a private dwelling up until the late 1950s. In 1989 it was in use as a council store, currently boarded up and vacant (2013).
List description updated, 2013.
Other nearby listed buildings