This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0177 / 56°1'3"N
Longitude: -3.7182 / 3°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 292988
OS Northings: 681859
OS Grid: NS929818
Mapcode National: GBR 1M.SYFG
Mapcode Global: WH5R0.V0LM
Entry Name: Ronaldshay Crescent and Park Road Grange Church and Church Hall
Listing Date: 5 August 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378254
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34046
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Grangemouth
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
John Benie Wilson. 1900-1903. Red bull-faced sandstone Arts and Crafts church, built for UP congragation. Galleried, simple rectangle on plan, oriented N-S. Early English (lancet or plate-traceried) windows, 3-light rectangular windows lighting nave at lower and upper gallery levels. Rubble plinth; square-gridded leaded obscured (clear) glass. Grey slated steeply-pitched slated roof with shallow catslide skylights to W and E, red clay ridge tiles, and masonry Celtic cross finials. Prominent, slightly battered, square-plan entrance TOWER at NW with octagonal NE angle turret: pointed arched entrance to W from Park Road, single lancet over at middle stage, string course over marking belfry upper stage, wall buttresses clasping at belfry-stage angles, single pointed-arched belfry openings with Y-tracery to each face, wall buttresses rising above wallhead and coped, as crenellations, red-tiled bellcast pyramid roof, eaves swept down between crenellations; leaded apex and finial.
W ELEVATION: tower to left, 2 nave bays set-back at centre, taller transeptal gabled bay slightly projecting to right, with large overarched stepped triple lancets at upper level, as at S (liturgical E), and E, lighting chancel. Entrance porch slightly set-back to right in front of short chancel projection, leading to church (left) and vestry and hall (right).
N (RONALDSHAY CRESCENT) FRONTAGE: tall nave gable front, 2 windows wide, tower slightly set-back to right, polygonal 2-stage ?staircase projection in front of tower. Entrance bay set-back to left, segmental-arched entance with original 2-leaf doors, upper secions glazed and multi-paned. INTERIOR: slightly polychrome effect with cream polished ashlar to main wall planes, and red polished ashlar vousoits to pointed arcades over galleries. Canted gallery fronts pierced with simple cusped trefoils, clock in N gallery front removed, galleries supported on cast-iron columns, raked seats; chancel screen only in chancel arch, organ, as well as most other furniture, removed (1992), chancel recess stencilled with gold stars on blue, ?circa 1950; original pews, stripped (pitched pine). Timber barrel-vaulted roof with diagonally-boarded panels, and tie-braces with cusped decoration. Single-storey CHURCH HALL linked to S, lit by bipartite windows, with grey slated pitched roof and ornate ridge fleche, with timber louvres decorated with cusping, and tall slated pyramid roof. HALL, W ELEVATION: single-storey, with gable, left, linked to asymmetrical wallhead stack, tripartite window to right.
Interior (hall): with deep straight-coved boarded roof and timber arched braces; single stained glass window to S at church hall, coloured glass floral swag motif set in clear leaded glass.
Congregation of Grange church uniting with that of Zetland parish church, adjacent, 1992. Important in townscape terms, the church tower especially an important skyscape element of the new town, as laid out under the auspices of the Zetland family. Feu disposition taken out in October, 1900, church formally opened 29 October, 1903 (Porteous); the UP congregation had previously worhsipped in a church (built 1859) in Grange Street (demolished).
Other nearby listed buildings