This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0091 / 56°0'32"N
Longitude: -4.757 / 4°45'25"W
OS Eastings: 228210
OS Northings: 683009
OS Grid: NS282830
Mapcode National: GBR 0C.TKB0
Mapcode Global: WH2M3.W7Y4
Entry Name: Ardencaple Castle
Listing Date: 14 May 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379041
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34703
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Helensburgh Central
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Earlier fabric substantially, reworked probably Robert Mylne in 1786
and by Peddie and Kinnear, 1877. 4-stage square battlemented (NE) corner tower retained when main castle demolished in 1957. Whinstone rubble, pink sandstone ashlar dressings and parapet. Battered base course, bipartite windows with pointed lights (now blinded), hoodmoulds to E, W and N elevations, corbelled and crenellated parapet.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf door, window to 1st and 2nd stages; armorial crest to upper stage.
W AND N ELEVATIONS: window to ground, 1st and 2nd stages.
S ELEVATION: windows blocked.
Ardencaple Castle was originally the seat of the Clan MacAulay, who settled in the area in the 13th century. In the 17th century they sold off most of their land and eventually abandoned the castle as a roofless ruin. It was purchased by the 4th Duke of Argyll around 1765. The castle was substantially altered by the addition of a west wing made up of circular, banded towers with corbelled parapets probably by Robert Mylne in 1786. Peddie and Kinnear carried out further alterations in 1877, probably adding to Tudor details and parapet to this tower.
Other nearby listed buildings