This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6071 / 55°36'25"N
Longitude: -4.5006 / 4°30'2"W
OS Eastings: 242578
OS Northings: 637674
OS Grid: NS425376
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MXMG
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.VB1B
Entry Name: Dundonald Road, Winton Place Evangelical Union Congregational Church Including Hall, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380570
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35886
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James Ingram, 1860. 6-bay Early English Gothic rectangular-plan church with single storey hall of 1891 to rear forming T-plan. Stugged yellow ashlar church with polished dressings. Base and cill courses. Stepped and angle buttresses. Sandstone and white brick hall.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 stone steps leading to central 2-leaf timber door recessed under pointed arch doorway with moulded reveals and nook shafts, outer hoodmould with mask label-stops; notice boards flanking; 4-light moulded arch window above doorway; pointed trefoil window to gablehead with remains of stone cross finial surmounting. Semi-octagonal piers flank the door and rise to form pinnacles above gable coping. Lancet window to flanks with stepped angle buttresses.
S ELEVATION: 6 regularly placed bays: pointed door with moulded surround and short lancet window above to 6th bay, long lancets with sloping cills and cill courses to remainder, stepped skewed buttresses between; angle buttresses.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: gable-end with gablehead chimney adjoining single storey hall to rear (see HALL below).
N ELEVATION: 6 regularly placed bays: pointed door with moulded surround and short lancet window above to 1st bay, long lancets with sloping cills and cill courses to remainder, stepped skewed buttresses between; angle buttresses.
Diamond quarry lights with squared coloured borders to most with sloping sills. Piended grey slate roof with bands of fish scale detail to church, plain grey slate piended roof to hall. Partially concealed cast-iron rainwater goods. Stepped stone stack with 2 short cans to W gablehead of church
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
HALL: single storey U-plan adjoining the W elevation of the church. Ashlar frontage with brick sides and rear, projecting moulded skews and kneelers on gable ends. Rectangular gable ended structure placed centrally against church with window in right return; larger U-plan hall surrounding with 3-light window in each gable end, small lean-to porch in right re-entrant angle with E facing timber door with small rectangular fanlight above, single storey store projecting from left re-entrant angle. Regularly fenestrated to each return and rear, small lean-to store / boiler room to front of right return.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low coursed ashlar walls with pyramidal copes. Pair of square gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Wrought-iron railings with piers matching those of stone wall.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Winton Place was originally the name for the stretch of road between John Finnie Street and Howard Street. It is now encompassed within Dundonald Road. The Winton Place E.U. Church was formed after a majority split from the Clerk's Lane Church. The church cost ?2700 to erect and sat nearly 900 people. The metal and stone gateposts are designed to match, with the faded name Winton Place slightly visible on the left-hand stone pier. The rear hall's front elevation is of sandstone but the sides and rear are white brick. This is common in buildings of this age where a less formal material was used on elevations not on view to the general public.
Other nearby listed buildings