This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6108 / 55°36'38"N
Longitude: -4.4987 / 4°29'55"W
OS Eastings: 242710
OS Northings: 638077
OS Grid: NS427380
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MJF1
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V7YJ
Plus Code: 9C7QJG62+8G
Entry Name: 30-38 John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 30 - 38 (Even Numbers) John Finnie Street
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380604
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35917
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Robert Ingram, 1895. 3-storey with attic and basement, multi-bayed, asymmetrical Free Renaissance block with 4-storey polygonal corner detail, returning to Dunlop Street. Coursed bull-faced red sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings to principal elevations; coursed red sandstone rubble to rear; yellow and white glazed brick extension with red ashlar dressings. Band courses, pilastered window surrounds, pedimented dormers resting on dentilled main cornice.
W (PRINICPAL) ELEVATION: multi-windowed, 4-bay: to 3rd bay, bipartite pilastered door surround with timber doors with blocked rectangular fanlights, plate glass cafe to right; 2 retail units to bays 1 & 2 with door between. Band course fascia above all. To 1st and 3rd bay of upper floors; pilastered, architraved tripartite windows with stone mullions, three pilastered windows to 2nd bay, apron panels to all. Pilastered and pedimented wallhead dormers to attic: rectangular to 1st bay with tripartite window; in 2nd bay, 3 triangular pediments with single window to each; to 3rd bay, nepus dormer with triangular pediment and tripartite window; to 4th bay, single window with triangular pediment. Adjoining corner elevation to right.
SW (CORNER) ELEVATION: essentially a canted 5-side, bay window with blind 5th bay to all floors concealing stack flue: 4 glazed windows to ground floor with blind panel to 5th bay; to 3 upper floors, pilastered architraved windows to bays 1-4 with apron panelling beneath. Projecting cornice supporting faceted slate roof with slender open cupola, ornate brass finial surmounting.
S (DUNLOP STREET) ELEVATION: 3-storey with attic and basement: 2-leaf boarded door 4th bay of basement, bipartite windows with stone mullions to 2nd and 3rd bay, single window to 1st bay. To ground, 1st and 2nd floor: single window to 1st bay, tripartite window to other 3 regularly placed bays, band course between floors. Slightly projecting cornice with triangular pedimented wallhead dormers to 1st, 2nd and 4th bays; wallhead stack to 3rd bay.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: shaped double L-plan to rear: to left, blind gable end of Dunlop Street elevation, inner return joining white brick extension to right by means of open verandas with plain wrought-iron railings, single bay to inner return of brick extension, blind end, further recessed bay of main wall to right. N ELEVATION: adjoining 14 - 28 John Finnie Street (listed separately).
3 and 7-pane sash and case windows, 2 and 6 coloured panes to upper sashes, plate glass to lower sashes. Grey slate mansard roof to main building with pedimented stone attic dormers; piended grey slate roof to rear and rear arms; faceted slate roof to corner with slender cupola surmounting; all with metal ridging, flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods draining to Dunlop Street elevation, gutters partially concealed within eaves cornice. Wallhead stack to Dunlop street elevation with paired cans, wallhead stack with terracotta cans to blind corner bays.
INTERIOR: modern shops to ground floor; tenements above.
Part of the John Finnie Street A-Group. John Finnie Street is nearly ? mile long and was built around 1864. It provided a grand thoroughfare for the town with the focal point to the north being the railway station. Business and commerce spread to this street and rows of high quality, 3-storey or more, red sandstone buildings were constructed. The ground floors were given over to retail, offices and accommodation were above. The street dominated the lower, narrower streets in Kilmarnock that were filled with traditional buildings. The street's architect was William Railton, who went on to design the Kilmarnock Infirmary (now demolished) and the surveyor was Robert Blackwood. Not long after the street was built, Archibald Adamson noted the number of handsome buildings which were deliberately built of red stone to provide a coherent view. Robert Ingram who also designed the 2 previous buildings designed this building. The ground floor was given over to retail, with the Blue Triangle Cafe still remaining glazed as it was when built. The building has housed various businesses as diverse as Bright Hosiery Manufacturer, the Department of Health for Scotland, Wellbeck Estate Company and Portland Estate Office. The upper floors contained tenements and rooming apartments. The diversity of the residents was interesting. By the 1930's, there were motor drivers, a pedlar, a carter, a "boot and shoe operator" at Saxone Shoe Factory and an "engineer and machinery" agent. Currently the building is still in use with retail units on the ground floor and accommodation above.
Other nearby listed buildings