This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6104 / 55°36'37"N
Longitude: -4.4993 / 4°29'57"W
OS Eastings: 242671
OS Northings: 638030
OS Grid: NS426380
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQ7Q
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V7NV
Plus Code: 9C7QJG62+47
Entry Name: The Kilmarnock Club, 3-9 John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 3-9 (Odd Numbers) John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock Club
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380590
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35905
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James and Robert S Ingram, 1899; later shop alterations. 2-storey, 4-bay, restrained classical symmetrical mixed-use property on triangular site: shops at ground, Club at 1st floor. Wide canted corner bays; base course; modern shop fronts to ground; band course at 1st floor; rusticated pilasters frame central 2 bays at 1st floor; entablature, blocking course and central segmental pediment with small urns and carving of Burgh Arms. Red sandstone ashlar; polished ashlar to 1st floor of main section; red brick to John Dickie Street and Dunlop Street Elevations.
E (JOHN FINNIE STREET) ELEVATION: modern shop fronts to ground; 4 single windows with architraves and cills at 1st floor; rusticated pilasters frame central 2 bays; date stone and blind plaque between central bays; central segmental pediment with balustrading; small urns crown balustrade ends; central ornament missing; tympanum of pediment carved with Burgh Arms and 'The Club Kilmarnock'; canted corner bays with tripartite window at 1st floor; single window on both returns.
S (JOHN DICKIE STREET) ELEVATION: converted door in 1st bay (from right) at ground; single window above; single window in 2nd bay; large tripartite window above; group of 3 windows and door in 3rd bay; tripartite above; single window in end bay; single window above.
N (DUNLOP STREET - CLUB ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation: tripartite windows in 1st bay (from left) at ground and 1st floors; Club entrance in 2nd bay composed of central porch and flanking lights framed by slim pilasters and broad entablature, crowned by triangular pediment; 2 single windows above; tripartite windows in 3rd bay at ground and 1st floors; single windows in 2 end bays.
2-pane timber sash and case windows; modern glazing to shop fronts. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: complete Billiard Room interior to Club.
Part of John Finnie Street A-Group. The Kilmarnock Club was designed as a retreat for the gentlemen of the town. Robert Ingram's design for the club still survives (his father, James, died in 1879) and shows that the accommodation included a Billiard Room, Reading Room, Bar, Card Room, Luncheon Room and a caretaker's flat. The ground floor housed 4 shops and the entrance to the club was on Dunlop Street rather than from the main thoroughfare. The design of the club forms an integral part of John Finnie Street, which is an unusually complete surviving example of late 19th century urban architecture. The plan for the street was drawn up in 1864 by William Railton and his original proposal still survives in the Dean of Guild Collection. The street is named after John Finnie who provided the funds for the development. He was born in Kilmarnock, but moved to Manchester in the mid-18th century.
Other nearby listed buildings