This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6092 / 55°36'33"N
Longitude: -4.4906 / 4°29'26"W
OS Eastings: 243213
OS Northings: 637879
OS Grid: NS432378
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.ML71
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.Z8SR
Plus Code: 9C7QJG55+MQ
Entry Name: 10 London Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 10 London Road
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380622
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35934
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1845; later additions. 2-storey, originally 3-bay plain classical villa with later 2-storey, single bay to left and single storey, canted-bay wing to right. Painted ashlar with brick side of single storey wing and upper wall of later additional bay. Giant angle pilasters, supporting frieze and blocking course flanking original 3 bays.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 2-leaf timber panelled door, later projecting porch with banded, curved angles; architrave and triangular pediment set against parapet. Single architraved, entablatured bay to flanks. 3 regularly disposed architraved windows to 1st floor. To left, very slightly recessed 2-storey single bay addition with plain window to ground floor; architraved window surround to 1st floor; eaves course and cornice. To far left, painted ashlar wall containing plain door surround with timber gate. To right, single storey wing addition: central, canted bay window with painted stone transoms and mullions, bipartite window to centre, single windows to sides, all with smaller upper lights and continuous lintel course; corniced parapet concealing roofline.
W ELEVATION: partially concealed ashlar ground floor with central bay; painted brick 1st floor with window to right and bipartite window to left.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001; concealed by other structures.
E ELEVATION: blind brick wall of wing to ground floor and adjoining boundary wall of No.12 London Road; roof of wing partially concealing blind 1st floor. Central wallhead stack rising from eaves cornice.
Replacement, timber 12-pane sash and case windows to principal elevation of main house. 2 & 8-pane timber sash and case windows to W elevation. Timber, fixed single pane windows with separate coloured glass upper lights to single storey wing. Piended grey slate roof, metal ridging and flashings. Painted, cast-iron rainwater goods; gutters concealed within cornice, down pipes to side elevations. Former pair of painted brick wallhead stacks with ashlar neck cornices, left stack now encompassed within 2-storey, single bay addition and resembling roofline stack; 3 taller ventilation cans to E stack, 4 hexagonal cans terminating in ventilation flues to W stack. Much smaller, later stack and cans to rear of W addition.
INTERIOR: semi-barrel vaulted roof to single storey wing, with glazed panel to platformed roof; plaster cornicing; ogee arch leading to bay window, resting on columns. Timbers panelling around bay window; green, brown, orange and fawn stained glass upper lights, as abstract foliage. Ornate, carved timber, fire surround with replacement fire. Rest of interior not seen, 2001.
Part of B-Group with the Dick Institute. London Road leads out of Kilmarnock to the east. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally, a few classical villas, such as this one, were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. Additions were made to this villa, including a single bay wing to the right with an ornate barrel vaulted plaster ceiling. In the 1930's, James Wilson Hamilton's doctor's practice was situated here. It remained in use as a practice for many years, until nearly the end of the 20th century. It is now returned to residential use.
Other nearby listed buildings